How to make a durable affordable waterproof outdoor movie screen for $8 is not just something for others to do, it’s for you to DIY because if you love movies and your outdoor living space, you’ll LOVE this simple idea to make a movie screen for outside. It’s by no means fancy, nor will it be for everyone, but if you want a temporary screen you can use all summer and that you don’t have to take down then this is your bare-bones, inexpensive, easy-to-make affordable outdoor big screen for movies!
I’ve definitely constructed my fair share of outdoor projector screens, and while some were not that great, this backyard projector screen is amazing for the price we are still using it fast forward a year later, and we refreshed one the year before from a full summer of use!
Why You’ll Love This DIY Movie Screen For Outside
When I share the items I used to create this simple DIY screen for the backyard, you will not believe how ‘simpleton’ it is!
- easy to find materials to build the outdoor theater screen
- the cost of the outdoor projection screen is $8 or less
- about as bare-bones as you can get other than using sheets and a wood fence!
- materials used in this backyard movie screen can be upgraded if you want it to be even more durable
- the DIY process to make the outdoor projector screen takes about 10 minutes but not more than 20 minutes
- it’s transportable
- there are a few different ways to mount the big outdoor projection screen
What You Will Need to Make The DIY Movie Screen For Outside
Again, don’t get too excited as you will see that you do not need many tools or any real big supplies and I will also share where to buy these items at the best price right now!
- Pressure-Treated Southern Pine Lumber
- Circular Saw
- Shower Curtain Liners
- Buckets (optional mounting)
- additional wood *optional (we didn’t buy that we had it already)
- Staple Gun
How To Make A Durable Affordable Waterproof Outdoor Movie Screen
Alright, so it’s time to put this movie screen for your backyard living space together and it is not hard at all.
I will tell you it is easier to do if you can have a second set of hands volunteer to help you but either way, it’s easy!
Step 1: Lining Up The Waterproof Movie Projection Screen
Open both the black and the white shower curtain liners.
Align one to the other.
Clip them to keep them secure and aligned so that you can so work to assemble the outdoor movie screen with ease.
You are placing the black liner behind the white one so that you will have a great color block on the white and a good image!
Once aligned we will attach the shower curtain liners to the pine lumber.
(optionally you can secure one liner at a time if you are having trouble keeping the 2 liners lined up, we have done this both ways and it works, either way, it is more about how you are comfortable setting up your outdoor screen for movies. )
Step 2: Attach the Waterproof Outdoor Movie Projection Screen To The Posts
At the base of each pine post, use your circular saw to cut on an angle and make it into a post for easier installation into the ground.
Next, with the liners on the ground flat and aligned place your treated pine lumber posts on each end of the liner and then roll one pole at a time, keeping the liners together and aligned, and staple after you have rolled this one time to tighten and secure.
Now repeat the roll of one time on the other post and secure with staples.
Tighten the shower curtain liner again and make sure it is even, and work with one pole again and wrap by rolling the pole on the ground flat then staple to secure.
Repeat this on the other pole as well.
Step 3: How to Mount the Diy Outdoor Movie Screen
This mounting of the DIY movie screen outdoors will vary for everyone as each of us has different backyard setups.
You can use buckets loaded with heavy mud and place a pole in each bucket and pull it taut.
If you prefer you could use cement in the buckets, but at some point, you WILL need to replace the shower curtain liners that are your current movie screen for outside, and cemented poles are a bit difficult to wrap.
Or you can use a hammer and tap one pole into the ground, and then pull the poles apart enough to keep the screen tight and then follow that by hammering in the other pole as well, which then has this screen mounted into the ground.
Step 4: Keep The Top Of The Screen TIGHT And Secure
Initially, I struggled with the flimsiness of the shower curtain material, but that was taken care of in 1 update.
On one screen I created I used a light piece of wood, mounted it on top of the pole with a nail, and then stapled the outdoor screen for movies to it creating what you might consider a frame! I didn’t buy that, I had it in the house from other projects, so it was a quick fix for the movie screen outdoors!
Tips For Your Affordable Outdoor Big Screen For Movies
- purchase extra shower curtain liners in case you rip one or if you have a super bad rain storm that the wind tears the installed movie screen outside
- always buy both colors black and white for a better quality picture experience
- make sure to have great seating options for watching your movies
- try to have someone help you line up the shower curtain it is far easier with one person holding the shower curtain and the other stapling.
- the extra piece of wood for the frame actually is a great addition but if you don’t have that and don’t want to spend more money, grab a clip and just attach it to a tree branch.
Make Sure To Come Back And Tell Me How Your Durable Affordable Waterproof Outdoor Movie Screen Turned Out!
There’s nothing more rewarding to me than hearing how your DIY projects turned out.
So come back and submit me a comment so I know what you did the same or differently, etc.