Magical Chocolate Witch Cookies – are 1 part magic and 1 part easy as the combined ingredients create delectable chocolate drop cookies with 2x the chocolate, and then when the witches fly from the sky, they just so happen to leave a little spatter creating spattered chocolate which cookies that will hit your sweet and savory-sweet tooth head on!
The October sky provides an unending view of the witches flying on their magical broomsticks and as the story goes, the witches are naughty and they don’t hold in what they can toss out and their loss is your recipe ticket to creepy, fun, spattered chocolate witch cookie bombs!
Why You’ll Love Chocolate Drop Cookies For Halloween
First answer the question: What drops from a witch’s broomstick when she’s flying?
Broomstick Spatter as she sprays the world with her cackling craziness cheering on Halloween.
- Easy to find ingredients
- You can and should make them in advance
- There are 2 chocolates in this receipt, not just one
- Kid-Friendly Recipe
- Perfect for Halloween, Halloween Parties, and the Month of October
Equpment Needed To Make Spatterd Chocolate Witch Cookies
You’ve got your own cauldron (mixing bowls) to whip up the batter and then you can drop them from your magical baking spoon.
Your little witches and warlocks that run around your home will magically make each one of these chocolate witch cookie bombs disappear, almost as though there is a ghost cookie thief running amuck in your home!
- Mixing bowl
- Cookie Trays
- Parchment Paper (Silicone Mats)
- Cooke Dropper
Ingredients For Your Magical Chocolate Witch Cookies
There are no magical ingredients here that will lead you on a mystical chase to track them down, so you have no excuses not to make these!
Pretty much your ingredients will consist of basic baking supplies such as:
- baking soda
- colorful Halloween M&M’s
How To Make Magical Chocolate Witch Cookies
Step 1: Preheat Your Oven And Prep Your Baking Trays For the Chocolate Drop Cookies
Always make sure to work with a preheated oven.
Step 2: Work With The Wet Ingredients For Your Chocolate Drop Cookie Batter
In a large mixing bowl (or your stand mixer bowl), add the softened butter.
Next, add the eggs.
Now the brown sugar then the vanilla and combine.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients For The Spattered Chocolate Witch Cookies
Using 1 bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, and Cocoa powder.
Next, add the flour and mix to combine.
Step 4: Add In More Chocolate To The Chocolate Witch Cookie Bombs
HAND FOLD in the Ghouls Mix.
Mix in the contents of the Ghoul’s Mix, very well. We don’t want any cookies having more chocolate than the other, lol.
Using a cookie scoop (1.5″), place cookies 2″ apart on your prepared baking pan.
Leave them in a ball scoop, do NOT FLATTEN.
The cookie will bake and note that the cookies will CRACK on their own while baking.
Step 5: Add The Witch Spattered Orange Icing
Once cooled, it’s time to Spatter the Chocolate Cookies from Flying Broomsticks above.
Transfer all of the cookies to a silicone baking mat or a large cut of parchment paper.
Melt your white chocolate in a microwave-safe glass for 30 seconds, and then 20-second bursts (if more time is needed).
Mix the white chocolate until smooth.
Add your coloring drop by drop until you achieve a brilliant Halloween orange color.
Immediately use your fork and spatter each cookie.
The forks’ tines will grasp the chocolate, and then above each cookie just dangle the fork back and forth and the spatter will transfer to the cookie below.
Allow the ‘spatter’ to dry (about 15 minutes) and then they are ready to feast on!
How To Make Chocolate Drop Cookies Perfect Every Time
No matter the cookie I bake or the recipe I create, I use bakeware that I have come to rely on.
All in all, even heating throughout a cookie tray matters.
I don’t want a tray of cookies with some cooked better than others or some burned. No thank you.
Ingredients cost money and when I bake I don’t have time for flopped batches of cookies, do you?
My choice of bakeware is 360 Cookware, Stainless Steel Cookie Sheets, 100% crafted in the good old USA!
Even heating, perfectly baked batches of cookies, one after the other, is what you can expect.
Use Code: Inthekitchenwithdana
Get 20% off! – touch photo to grab yours!
A lifetime warranty and large baking trays are perfect for huge batches or many small cookies.
Use a silicone mat to guide your scoop placement and you never have to worry about where 2″ apart might be.
Plus I love using parchment paper for an even easier cleanup so either parchment or silicone mats make baking easy and these baking pans are game-changers!
Grab the 360 bakeware at 20% off using my exclusive code at checkout >> inthekitchenwithdana.
Witch Spattered Orange Icing On Chocolate Cookies
When it comes to making chocolate witch spattered cookie bombs it’s all about getting the pops of color to make them look festively Halloween’ish’.
Of course, orange is the color that shows up great against the chocolate cookie.
However, you could go with a brilliant purple as well, all personal choice.
So, you’ll want to either grab meltable orange chips or you’ll need other supplies to make your chocolate orange.
Try grabbing my favorite brand of meltable chocolate for every season online.
While these are vanilla-flavored you can change them to chocolate flavor by adding the proper flavoring for chocolate meltable.
Orange meltable chocolate pieces are in stores now but may be gone as they disappear faster than a leprechaun and his pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
Other Great Recipes You’ll Love For Halloween
In the full spirit of Halloween, I’ve got plenty more recipes that are dropping out of my cauldron and I want to share them, so below I made a list of just a few, but there are plenty more!
- If you want to learn about coloring chocolate, read my DIY Halloween Bleeding Cake with Knife recipe.
- Also, if you ever wanted to learn about Ganache, make sure you check out that recipe too!
- Inside my Ganache recipe, I go in-depth discussing coloring chocolate so that I won’t repeat that here.
- Deviled Halloween Eggs
Since you may not be able to find the right color for meltable chocolate, just buy the candy oil coloring, not other food colors, they will destroy your melted chocolate. (been there, don’t this )
Additionally, the other one I use a lot is these melting chips, and I color them because they are readily available online and in the stores (craft, warehouse, etc).
Last, the chips in my cookie are not CHIPS, they are M&M Ghouls Mix and it’s getting harder and harder to find.
Can I Freeze Chocolate Drop Cookies?
Yes, you can, using either a freezer zip bag or a secure container.
Using a Silpat or parchment paper is highly suggested.
Should I Use Silicone Mats or Parchment Paper When I Bake The Chocolate Witch Cookie Bombs?
Yes as it will make cleanup so much easier!
Make Sure You Come Back And Tell Me How Your Magical chocolate Witch Cookies Turned Out
Magical Chocolate Witch Cookies
- 1 C Light Brown Sugar
- A stick of unsalted butter softened
- 2 Eggs do not use brown eggs
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- DRY MIXTURE
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 C Flour
- 3/4 – 1 C Unsweetened Dutch Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- A Bag of M&M Ghouls Mix
- ORANGE CHOCOLATE SPATTER
- 4 oz White Chocolate meltable
- Orange Candy Oil-Based Coloring *as covered in my post.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Prepare your trays with silicone baking mats
- Wet Ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl (or your stand mixer bowl), add in the softened butter.
- Next, add in the eggs.
- Now the brown sugar.
- Mix this together.
- Let’s move to the dry ingredients and add those in (you can thank me for not making you use a separate bowl to mix them in, it serves no purpose than to make an additional bowl to clean up!)
- Baking powder.
- Cocoa Powder (I add the heavier hand as listed on this to make it really yummy, but if you just want the taste and color of chocolate stay on the 3/4 C side.
- Add in the flour.
- Mix to combine.
- Once you’ve got all the dry ingredients mixed in (scrape the side of the bowl and the bottom to make sure) it’s time to HAND FOLD in the Ghouls Mix.
- Mix in the contents of the Ghoul’s Mix, very well. We don’t want any cookies having more chocolate than the other, lol.
- Using a cookie scoop (1.5"), place cookies 2" apart on your prepared baking pan.
- Leave them in a ball scoop, do NOT FLATTEN.
- The cookie will bake for 10-12 Minutes Do NOTE The cookies will CRACK on their own while baking.
- Don’t over bake.
- Naturally, the first batch is going to be the longer bake of 12 minutes.
- By the second round, you will be at about 10 minutes firm.
- When you remove the cookie from the oven (with hot mitts on), firmly smack the pan against the countertop (I do this on a layered towel) and the cookies will crinkle more!
- Allow these to cool, then transfer to a cooling rack (about 10 minutes).
- Repeat the entire process above until all of our cookies are baked (approximately 24 cookies)
- Once cooled, it’s time to Spatter the Chocolate Cookies from Flying Broomsticks above.
- Transfer all of the cookies to a silicone baking mat or a large cut of parchment paper.
- Melt your white chocolate in a microwave-safe glass for 30 seconds, and then 20-second bursts (if more time is needed).
- Mix the white chocolate until smooth.
- Add your coloring drop by drop until you achieve a brilliant Halloween orange color.
- Immediately use your fork and spatter each cookie.
- The forks’ tines will grasp the chocolate, and then above each cookie just dangle the fork back and forth and the spatter will transfer to the cookie below.
- I’ve even coated some of the cookies by dipping them 1/2 way into the orange mixture.
- This is all personal preference.
- Allow the ‘spatter’ to dry (about 15 minutes) and then they are ready to feast on!