Well it’s official, shopping for a vehicle probably makes my top 10 list of UNFAVORITE things to do! Decisions that you have to make with the purchase impact you for a few years after you buy and keep the car and unlike painting a wall, once you pick the color —- THAT’s It!
My car is now 9 years old and it is time for us to part ways, but being Pittsburgh Frugal Mom there are certain criteria that I am looking for in a new vehicle. I am sure that most of my readers have many of the same, that is what brings us all together on my page! For me, it’s not only price, it’s time. Time is money and a vehicle that ends up in the shop keeping me from my daily life is not a good decision. Car shopping is an investigation and takes time.
2) Dealership to work with ( I can not tell you enough about the stories out there, but I can tell you.. My current car was given to me with the wrong side board colors and I still had to accept the car or wait MONTHS for another, so…
3) Color & Features – what is and is not necessary
5) Mileage and how wallet friendly fill-ups will be
6) Brand of car and its reputation. ( Once, as a starter vehicle, I had a Dodge Sundance- It had to be towed more than once, it lost its brakes, did not go in the snow, and the mechanical problems: let’s just say the car was IN the shop more than it was on the road over a 2 year time period, I guess you know what BRAND I will never buy again)…
7) Seating Capacity (remember my kids play hockey and space is necessary)
8) Front Seat Set Up. (how it feels and looks is Huge in my life, if I am uncomfortable I will never survive in the vehicle)
9) Dealership, follow-up, services, availability of service shop and how ‘FRIENDLY’ the Shop Staff is. I like to understand what is wrong(if something is wrong with the car) and why it is wrong, and HOW they will fix it.
…..and this is just the beginning of my list, I have just started, so I will update you as I go.
I will tell tell you as I go from dealership to dealership, what I have found, and where you might want to look. I am willing to drive all over Pittsburgh and the surrounding area, just to get the RIGHT vehicle and to work with the RIGHT Dealership, because at some point in time each of you will also need a vehicle so I hope that getting educated myself will shine some light on your future vehicle shopping and protect you from any possible hazards at different dealerships!
Remember, leave me comments if you have a suggestion of a vehicle, or dealership I should talk to. Consumer Education and discussion is a reason why shopping can be very successful!
Here’s to The Adventures of Pittsburgh Frugal Mom & Car Shopping in Pittsburgh!