Are you ready for a savory Instant Pot easy mushroom red sauce?
Today I will share with you a recipe from my Nonna Santa’s Recipe Box.
However, I have upgraded the recipe and created in my Instant Pot.
I am about to share with you, my Instant Pot Easy Mushroom Red Sauce.
What I love is how I can update old recipes that took forever to cook and whip them up in this pressure cooker.
There’s nothing like fast when you are hungry and there’s nothing like enjoying foods in minutes not hours!
My Nonna Santa used to make this recipe, but she would work it out on the stove.
I have not got time to watch this all day long, so I’ve created the recipe in my Instant Pot.
My famous Instant Pot Mushroom Red Sauce used to take hours to simmer but no more!
Instead, my recipe for easy mushroom red sauce fast and it tastes as I simmered it day-long!
Use this any time of the year, and don’t forget Red for Valentine’s and Christmas!
Lavishly live food out loud, let’s eat pasta with my Instant Pot Easy Mushroom Red Sauce.
Instant Pot Easy Mushroom Red Sauce
A Bit About Shopping For Your Ingredients
I go to the store the day I am preparing this sauce and get the fresh produce.
Old mushrooms can ruin this recipe.
Disgusting, dilapidated basil will change the flavor.
Make sure your garlic is fresh and that your onions are sweet.
Last, make sure to use an Extra Virgin Olive Oil, it truly kicks it up a notch when it comes to flavoring.
If you are a mushroom-a-holic, double the mushrooms, or add in portabella mushrooms too.
This recipe is fantastic with more mushrooms, rather than less.
Try any of these 7 Italian Sauces for Seafood, Meat and Pastas!
Thoughts on Easy Mushroom Red Sauce
You don’t need long to make this, in fact the longest part is sweating out the mushrooms.
Freeze what you don’t use, and you’ll appreciate it later!
Naturally, you could use fresh-cooked tomatoes as well.
I use canned tomato sauce, sometimes I food process them, other times I just use smooth sauce.
Really, this whole recipe can be tweaked for your preferences.
DOn’t forget if you love HOT add in some red pepper flakes.
Last, don’t over cook the mushrooms, or they will get gross.
Use all pieces of the mushroom as long as it’s rinsed, I do!
Learn how to use Parmesan Cheese Rinds and Why?
RECIPE For Easy Instant Pot Red Mushroom Sauce
Instant Pot Easy Mushroom Red Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons minced Garlic
- 1 Small Yellow Onion peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced very thin
- 2 - 8 oz containers of sliced white mushrooms rinsed
- Dash of Salt & Pepper
- 6 Basil leaves - chopped or whole your preference
- 1 Can of Tomato Paste 6 oz + 3 cans of water to get all paste residue
- 1 Chunk of Parmesan Rind
- 2 Cans 15oz each of Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tsp of Sugar
- Place olive oil into Instant Pot liner.
- Add in minced garlic, onions and peeled & sliced garlic.
- You will press the SAUTE selection and get this cooking.
- You want the onions to be translucent before you add in other ingredients.
- Next, add in mushrooms and basil.
- The mushrooms need to be cooked down just a bit, so allow them to saute as well, mixing as you go.
- Add in the salt and pepper to taste. just a quick dash, nothing too much (in a few steps down we will add in something to bolster the flavor with plenty of salt in it!)
- PASTE MIXTURE
- Paste mixing is critical to the success of the sauce.
- Dump the can of paste into a measuring cup.
- Next add three cans of water to the cup.
- Then, using a fork stir until dissolved.
- At this point the mushrooms and onions should be sweated to the point that you need them to be.
- So, mix in the paste mixture with the mushrooms, onions, garlic and olive oil.
- Stir well.
- Add in the sauce. and mix.
- Now add in the Parmesan Rind and Sugar (the sugar balances the bitter of the paste)
- Stir this to combine
- Press Cancel to stop Saute Mode.
- Stir a bit more, and then add the Instant Pot Lid.
- Program: Soup/Broth for 10 minuutes.
- At the end of cooking, allow this to naturally release - read post if you want to rapid cool.
Serve atop a bed of pasta.