As a traditional Italian girl, I have been brought up that the best meal of the week, even it is an everyday meal must be the Pasta on your plate. Cook pasta too much and you have a mushy mouthful of goo, cook it too little and you have a crunch, no thanks. The best of both worlds is Al Dente pasta, meaning that it is cooked just right, not too soft and not too hard (starting to feel like Little Red Riding Hood). My family craves meat sauce and pasta and generally this has to be a weekend meal because there has been no short-cutting great recipes, until my Instant Pot arrived at my door step. Today it is time to lavishly live food out loud and I would proudly like to share with you my Instant Pot Meat Sauce and Pasta Recipe, which I have been trying over and over until I got it right. Instant Pot has made it possible to prepare this great meal in about 12 minutes flat from browning the meat to cooking the pasta.
- 2 Tbsp Of Minced Garlic
- 1 Tsp of Salt
- 3 Tbsp Of Olive Oil
- 1 Pound of Ground Beef
- 1 28 Oz Can of Tomato Puree (or sauce)
- 1 C of Water
- 2 C of Water (to cover pasta)
- 1 Pound of Pasta
- 1/2 C Shredded or Grated Cheese (optional)
- Place Instant Pot on Saute setting.
- Drizzle Olive Oil, then minced garlic, then meat.
- Brown the meat until it is no longer pink. (this takes under 5 minutes)
- Add Sauce to meat mixture and an additional Cup of water.
- Put Pasta into the mixture and add 2 cups of water.
- Mix the pasta in well and try to bring the meat up from the bottom to cover pasta a bit.
- Cover Instant Pot
- Steam Release Should be Sealed
- Set to High Pressure for 7 Minutes (Manual)
- Quick Release when done cooking
- Add on optional Cheese
- Serve warm and refrigerate any leftovers.
Make sure to use Quick Release on this as it will overcook the pasta if you do not. I always use a pot holder to let the steam spatter onto rather than having it hit the cabinet area.
The food will continue to cook, even once the pressure is released and the pot is turned off, remember it is very hot and the stainless bowl retains the heat. This is good to know because if you have any liquid left it will absorb (about a 1/2 c or so)
The inner pot is dishwasher safe so this makes cleanup a snap.
Do make sure to brown your meat until no pink shows.
You do not need to cook pasta separate from the meat sauce, just combine it all. I do suggest trying to scoop some of the meat atop the pasta before cooking, it seems to help with the cooking and not overcooking.
If you find the pasta is too soft, back the time down by a minute.
Here is the How To Instructional video and this will also show you the proper water content for pasta, so you see how submerged or not it should be.
Lavishly live this traditional awesome recipe out loud and enjoy the Italian Feast any day of the week rather than just on Sundays. The Instant Pot Meat Sauce and Pasta Recipe makes a fabulous weekday addition and yummy leftovers for lunches. Cheers ~