5 Air Fryer Tips
When I got my first air fryer, I had no idea what I had.
Air fryers are one of a few accessories I could never live without in my kitchen.
While I own 2 now, I use them almost every day.
The different foods you can air fry are insane and everything turns out tasty!
So here’s the thing, mine came with zero directions, instead it was just like learn it, to use it on my own.
Appliance savvy, I went for it and fast forward 4+ years later, I am an air frying queen.
Are there foods I don’t like to prepare in an air fryer?
There were until I figure out better ways to process the food.
So, let’s keep this short and sweet and get on with 5 air fryer tips to use it better so you too can be PRO!
5 Air Fryer Tips to Use It Better!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links that may earn me commissions so if you click through them and take certain actions. Read more on my full disclosure here
Make fabulous air Fryer Calzone Pockets with the recipe below! ⇓
Air Fryer Calzone Pockets
Air Fryer Calzones - The TruthHonestly, when you go out and purchase these at a pizza shop, are you just kind of like, really I paid for this? Sometimes it is so disheartening to know you could have done it for less and better. However, now you know how to make these and I encourage you to double the size and change the ingredients. Your work is going to be better than any pizza shop because it is yours. The pure satisfaction you will gain from creating these from start to finish is huge! If you have kids, let them make their own. Did you know kids that participate in meal-making are a lot more likely to eat the food? It's known as pride in prep, and to the parents, it's called, "WINNING!" Want the best idea ever? Put out a bunch of veggies, and make it mandatory that at least ONE goes inside. There you go! More parenting street cred! Hey, I'll take any parenting win, won't you? Big, small or filled in a calzone! Air Fryer Insight An air fryer is one of the coolest, kitchen cooking gadgets available right now.Taking oil out of the frying equation is better for your health and the consistency of the food is amazing.When I first started using an air fryer I was not really sure I would like it. In fact, I don't like air frying,I LOVE air frying foods. Now add in a very popular food, like a calzone and suddenly an air fryer calzone is the best recipe ever! However, if you just got an air fryer you might find it a little intimidating.Don't worry, after a few times using it, you will get the hang of it and come to love it.From pizzas to cookies and everything in between, air fryers are perfect. My kids love snacking and because they are boys I keep foods stocked up for fast grabs.They love calzones, so I created small versions so they could snack and enjoy!It's time to share the recipe with you.Getting creative with simple ingredients has never been easier.The return offers a fabulous taste. Here's a new spin on an old favorite, one I used to use my oven for.Get ready to roll out Air Fryer Calzone Pockets.
- A 13.8 Oz Can Refrigerated Pizza Dough
- ¼ C Pizza Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Red Onion Chopped
- 4 Pieces Hot Capicola – chopped small
- 14 pieces of Pepperoni chopped small
- ¼ C Mozzarella Cheese
- Unlimited Italian Spice as much or little as you want to taste
- On a flat surface, place pizza dough and use a large-mouthed- glass to cut each circle.
Stay on one side of the circle and put in a few pieces of the cap, pepperoni, cheese and a small dash of sauce (1-2 tsp)
- Remember you have to close this sucker, so don't overfill or it will get messy!
3. Seal pocket with a fork.
4. The over-stuffing of each pocket will result in bad sealing and contents may ooze out into air fryer * Do not overfill.
Honestly, I can't say this enough especially if you don't feel like dealing with a mess later or the burned smell, Ewwww!
Place up to 4 pockets in the air fryer. (if yours are bigger only place 2 in the fry basket)
Program Air Fryer to 400 ° 6 minutes
When timer sounds, remove, transfer to a serving platter and serve with marinara.
Get ready because the plate will be swiped out from underneath you when these make an appearance!
Air Fryer Tips To Use It Better The Plug and Cord (1)
First things first, if you have an air fryer, never keep the cord right next to it.
That said, make sure there is space from the side of the basket to the wall plate.
To that end, when the air fryer basket gets heated, the cord will too, and you don’t want to melt that cord.
Furthermore, did I mention that someone I know in one of my food groups, burned their cord?
My Solution to The Cord and Basket Issue
In any event, while it might seem like a simple thing to remember, it’s not.
Consequently, my one air fryer’s cord sits NEXT to the air fryer, and, I had to get creative.
For that reason, I place a glass jar (like a Mason Jar) next to the fryer bin and it shields the cord and plug.
Boom, easy, solved!
Delicious Air Fryer Crab Cakes that Are So Easy To Make
- Egg-Free Egg Replacer 2 eggs prepare per package instructions
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 3-4 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- Dash of Sea Salt
- 2 Teaspoons of Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon of Franks Hot Sauce optional
- 2 sticks of celery deveined and chopped.
- 1 Pound Can Fresh Lump Crab Meat drain if necessary
- 1/2 C Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil or Canola Oil brushing air fryer and tops of crab cakes
- Preheat air fryer to 390° F
- In a large bowl mix together egg replacer, Worcestershire, mayonnaise, hot sauce, mustard, lemon juice, sea salt, smoked paprika, and celery.
- Make sure it is well combined.
- Once mixed well, fold in lump crab meat and panko.
- Fold again until combined.
- Use a large serving spoon and portion into 6 while still in the mixing bowl.
- Now take each portion into the palm of the hand and shape a crab cake, allowing the serving spoon to gently shape. Do not press too hard or the lump crab will crumble.
- Brush air fryer basket with oil.
- Add in 3 crab cakes at a time, evenly spaced.
- Brush the top of each cake with a little of the oil reserve.
- Program Air Fryer to 5 Minutes and do not open until the cycle is done.
- Remove the crab cakes, as they will be golden brown and fully cooked.
- Repeat the process for the other 3.
- Serve Warm
Air Fryer Tips to Use It Better – The Basket (2)
No matter what you do, make sure to ‘spray’ the fry basket or brush it with nonstick spray.
Personally, I have a favorite non-flavored coconut oil spray that I use and it is magic!
It’s important to make sure your food will release from the basket, so, don’t be shy to use some!
Also, coconut oil has great frying properties and is resistant to oxidation at high heat levels.
Air Fryer Tips to Use It Better~ Less Is More (3)
As a result, less is more.
In any event, Air Fry batch by batch and don’t be afraid to not overload the basket.
When you load the basket batch by batch, you will find that the food will cook evenly and probably faster than anticipated as it is not stacked upon each other.
In addition, remember too, to shake the basket from time to time to ensure that all the food is cooking, on all sides.
Last, don’t cook light things like Quesadilla’s they will fly around and not fare well inside the air fryer.
Experiment with containers (4)
Even if you think you are only to use the fry basket, try using a different baking container.
In short, when cooking in the air fryer you can experiment with different baking dishes that are heat resistant.
I’ve used glass, and ceramic, as well as Fiestaware, successfully.
You can cook in more than just the air fryer basket itself, but it does alter the time, so do pay attention.
Remember, the bowl that you use will be HOT when you remove it, so use caution.
That’s Not Warm Enough- Air Fryer Tips (5)
Never use your air fryer unless it is preheated.
Just like an oven needs to come to temperature to assure proper cooking time, so does your air fryer.
Because, if you don’t allow it to preheat, plan on food needs to cook longer.
Generally, I run almost a full cycle of whatever temperature I plan on using.
After the cycle is completed, I add the nonstick spray that I suggested above.
Enjoy your air fryer, use it regularly as it is healthier than traditional oil frying. ~ Dana xo