Today’s dessert: an angel food cake lemon bar recipe tastes as though it was purchased in a bakeshop, rather than made in your own oven!
Textured, tart, tempting, the 3 terrific ‘t’s’ of a heavenly, baked-from-scratch lemon angel food cake bar recipe, where the classic angel food cake gets a makeover, while its infamous-after-baking light brown exterior encrusts a citrusy lemon flavor, which leads to an indulgent, bakeshop-like treat!
Easy lemon bars recipe with angel food cake mix is going to be the recipe you will make, bake and bring with as your signature dessert!
Why You Will LOVE Angel Food Cake Lemon Bars
I have a particular affinity for my lemon bar recipe because it is super easy to make and contains only 2 ingredients.
It’s true when I first made these, I was just using up baking supplies I had around from the holidays, but when I discovered that combining 2 simple ingredients could create an irresistible lemon bar cookie, I just couldn’t stop baking them.
In many ways, my 2 ingredient lemon bars remind me of a dump cake, but in other ways not so much.
Here are other reasons you are simply going to LOVE making these irresistible bar cookies!
- you can cut this dessert into bars, which are easy to transprt
- it’s a one-bowl baking recipe
- no previous baking skills are needed (novice level with pro-level results)
- the bars should and can be made in advance and store easily!
What do you need to make the angel food cake lemon bar recipe?
You will need about 5 minutes to prep and 30 to bake, with a cooling time of about 2 hours
I’ve shared the kitchen essentials down below, but as far as I am concerned this is the ‘hoorah’ moment you have been waiting for: you need a mixing bowl and a spoon or a mixer!
This recipe is what I consider a blessing because it is so easy and minimal that there is very little room for error!
Angel Food Cake Lemon Bar Recipe Ingredients
Again, this recipe is so truly simplistic so here are the knockout, easy peasy ingredients, drum roll, please.
- angel food cake mix
- a can of pie filling
Lemon bars are not difficult to make, and you can really make a fabulous batch of bar cookies with an underwhelming amount of ingredients and end up with a very tasty, dessert!
How To Make Angel Food Cake Lemon Bar Recipe
Step 1 for the easy lemon bars recipe with angel food cake mix is the most important step!
In order to successfully prepare the bars, you will need to preheat your oven.
As with any oven-baked recipe, preheating is necessary so that the heat that the food is exposed to does not bake in all the wrong places first, ruining your overall results, as even heating temperatures are necessary.
Plus when preheating my oven I always preheat above the needed temperature, so if I am to preheat this recipe for 350°F, instead I preheat the unit to 400°F it is a trick I learned when I was a Chef in my own restaurant.
Just remember to back the heat down, once your oven is preheated so you don’t ruin your recipe!
Preheating your oven is a must, so before all your prep begins do this!
Step 2 To Make Your Lemon Bars is actually quite simple.
Gather your kitchen baking essentials, and set them aside.
Then you will gather your ingredients but, you will have a stop in motion before opening your pie filling.
Wash and dry the can of pie filling.
Most people skip this step, but many hands have touched that can of pie filling that has now entered your home through purchase and I am somewhat of a germophobe who is constantly wiping door handles, purse and seatbelt strap and buckle, etc. but it is more for health than any other reason.
Consider the journey of a can of pie filling:
- You traveled to your grocery store, to purchase pie filling, and you grab it off the shelf.
- before you grabbed it, you have touched other things in the store and even if you had not, at the very least you have a cart or a basket in your hand that others have touched (so you get the idea already)
- the can was transported in a fresh box, that was unloaded by the employees and placed on the shelves with their hands
- others might have touched it toying with the idea to make a pie but didn’t and it was picked up, look at, and returned to the shelf
- you come along and purchase it and purchasing can have 2 scenarios meaning either you use self-checkout or a cashier touches it and well then someone bags it
So, wash the can and the lid, dry it and wash your hands with soap and water too!
Don’t forget that in that whole mixture of washing the can you have touched the can as well!
Now you can open your lemon pie filling and set it aside and you can open your package of angel food cake.
Step 3 is to combine the 2 ingredient lemon bar products
This is your big moment, you will place both the angel food cake and lemon pie mix into a bowl and combine it.
Step 4: Transfer your angel food cake with lemon pie filling mixture to the baking pan.
Once you’ve incorporated the ingredients together, and you are sure that they are well combined, you can transfer the bar mix to your nonstick baking pan.
Then you’ll place it in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes until the top begins to brown, but usually, it is my sides that begin to brown.
Also, ovens vary so I say approximately for that reason as your oven might take 5 minutes more or less to complete the baking cycle.
Step 5: After The 2 Ingredient Lemon Bars Are Done Baking
Once you remove the bars from the oven, place them on a cooling rack for 2 hours to let them cool completely.
What To Top Your Angel Food Cake Lemon Bars with?
I make these bars often, and I have 3 ways that I serve them, they are all easy and there is no right or wrong way to serve this bar recipe.
- nothing atop the bars
- powdered sugar on the lemon bars
- a thicker glazed icing ( this time I used pink against the yellow for a Spring look)
How To Store Your Angel Food Cake Lemon Bar Recipe Squares
As I shared above, I always use my nonstick baking pan with a lid, it doesn’t get any easier than that, and I keep them refrigerated.
How Long Will the angel food cake lemon bars last in the fridge?
In fact, if your bars last longer than a few days, don’t worry, because they can stay refrigerated for 1 week.
Can I Freeze the Angel Food Cake Lemon Bars?
YES! That’s a great idea.
If you are making them just for you, make them and freeze them without worry, well packaged in zippered freezer bags, pre-sliced of course, for up to 3 months.
I do not suggest topping them with confectionery sugar, or icing, rather when you take a bar out, allow it to come to room temperature, and then top it, if you so desire.
Is it really possible to make lemon bar cookies from cake mix?
Yes, you make this recipe with no more than 2 ingredients and it will turn out delicious every time!
What Kind Of Pan is Best For Baking Lemon Bars
I do suggest using a nonstick pan, that you leave untreated as that works best, and you can see my pan above and buy it here.
It in fact is one of the best nonstick baking pans I have used to date and I love that I can just use the lid that comes with it to cover and store!
Minimalist kitchen essentials are needed to bake like a pro with fabulously tasty results and I believe that every kitchen needs a nonstick baking pan with a lid.
Do You Have A List Of Kitchen Essentials I Should Have On Hand?
Disclosure. My post contains affiliate links (shortcuts to the products I know you are going to love and use) If you buy one of these items, DanaVento.Com will make a tiny commission, but it doesn’t affect your price. Consider me, your concierge to find these things faster without a lot of searching!
Yes, absolutely I have a list of kitchen essentials and it is very short and sweet!
- mixing bowl,
- large spoon or fork to mix with
- a hand mixer
- or your stand mixer and a spatula
- you also will want an oven mitt
- a cooling rack is helpful
- nonstick baking pan with a lid (as I shared above)
- spatula (for making sure you get all the lemon filling out of the pie can in addition to using it for scraping down the bowl and transferring the mix to the baking pan)
How Do I Combine the 2 Ingredient Lemon Bars?
Really this is a personal choice and it is also dependent on what kitchen essentials you own.
I always use my hand mixer for this particular recipe as I find it a PIA to haul out my big stand mixer.
You could mix this by hand with a fork, and follow it with a spatula scrape down to make certain you are incorporating all of the ingredients evenly.
Other Simple Ingredient Recipes You Will Love
Don’t Forget To Come Back and Let Me Know How Your Angel Food Cake Lemon Bar Recipe Turned Out
- 1 Box of Angel Food Cake Mix (water only mix)
- 1 - 22 oz can of lemon pie filling
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Open your pie filling (read the blog post for details)
- Open the cake mix
- Place the cake mix and the pie filling in the bowl
- Combine using a mixer, fork, or a stand mixer (your choice)
- Transfer prepared batter to a nonstick 9x13" pan
- Bake for up to 30 minutes or until you see the edges of your bar turning brown
- Remove from the oven and allow the angel food cake lemon bars to cool for 2 hours
- optionally once cooled, top with confectionary sugar, a glaze, or nothing!