Who loves peach season?
It’s in full swing and in addition, blueberries are also another wildly popular crop during the summer and readily available!
What happens when you mix peaches with blueberries and top it off with a dutch crumb topping?
Pie lovers just might experience a foodgasm.
Moans of infatuation created by the tantalizing taste of freshly bake blueberries that ooze juice in combination with the sweet syrupy peach flavors.
You simply won’t be able to hold back the foodgasm nor the fork-after-fork plowing effect this dutch crumb peach blueberry pie offers.
Simply put, if you try one new recipe with fresh fruits this summer, let this be the one!
There’s more to this simple dutch crumb peach blueberry pie though, it’s the secret ingredient.
One ingredient bolsters the flavor just by showing up in the mixture.
Dutch Crumb Peach Blueberry Pie
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See more details here.
Neither recipe, however, contains the secret ingredient.
Yes, I do add this ingredient into those pies as well, just not as often as I do when I make this succulent pie.
What I know is that the Dutch Crumb Apple Pie and Dutch Crumb Peach Pie that I shared with you both are amazing and stand on their own.
However, adding in the secret ingredient totally ‘kicks it up a notch’ to borrow the saying from Emeril.
There’s an additional depth of flavor and it balances both the blueberries and peaches without adding additional scoops of sugar!
It’s time for Titan Farms famed peaches.
They are the largest peach grower on the East Coast located in the Peach Capital of the world, The Old 96 District of South Carolina.
Grab your pie dishes and let’s get busy!
Ingredients Matter for the Dutch Crumb Peach Blueberry Pie
Being honest, I NEVER use frozen ingredients for the pie fillings.
Additionally, I don’t use canned products for my pie filling.
Also, you might be surprised to know that I actually only add 6 ingredients TOTAL to this pie.
Clearly you know that 2 of them are Peaches and Blueberries, lol.
Certainly, there are no syrups or gels added, I am more a natural gal.
Fresh fruit and ONLY fresh fruit are part of this pie.
My other ingredients are organic all-purpose flour, organic brown sugar, and salted pure butter.
The secret ingredient can be any brand, but, you need to make sure it is fresh, not stale!
Fresh peaches (washed, dried, and skin ON), and fresh blueberries (washed and dried) are my winning combination.
I leave my peach skin on, and no its not gross, rather its a time-saving thing and allows us to enjoy the nutrients and vitamins of the skin as well.
Crusts and Pies – It’s All Personal Preference
Now the big question, I’ve been asked over and over.
“Dana, do you use fresh pie crust that you make or frozen, store-bought?”
I use both.
Really this is all about the time you have in your day.
Sometimes I have a more open schedule and other days, time is tight, yet I want to make a homemade pie.
The compromise in the latter is that I use a frozen pie shell.
Not a big deal, nor is it cheating, it’s called time management baking.
Or another way to put it, ‘It’s either a frozen shell tonight or there’s no dessert!’
Ripening Peaches for the Dutch Crumb Peach Blueberry Pie
At its core, it’s really important to use peaches that are ripe, not smooshy.
You need to be able to uniformly slice these peaches so that they bake evenly.
I love layering them, and it slices nicely in the end.
So, a peach that lightly yields to touch, but does not smoosh is needed.
Bake It & Let It Set Up
The best pies result when you have time.
Make sure to bake this pie, and then let it set up for at least an hour if not more.
It’s going to ooze blueberry juice and the peach juice will seep into the crust, so let it set and enjoy the bubbling.
Serve warm or chilled.
I do suggest storing leftovers in the refrigerator due to butter and peaches in the mix!
Full Recipe With Images ~ Enjoy!
Dutch Crumb Peach Blueberry Pie With Secret Ingredient Exposed!
- 1 Pie Crust frozen or homemade
- 2-3 Large Peaches washed, dried, skin on, sliced thin and uniformly
- 1/2 C Blueberries washed, dried
- 1/2 C butter softened, not liquid
- 1 C Flour
- 1/2 C Brown Sugar
- 2 Ice Cream Cone Cups Crushed
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Place the pie crust in a pan.
- Use prepped blueberries to be the first layer into the pie crust.
- Follow with a layer of sliced peaches.
- Repeat peach layering one more time, or until you are out of peach slices.
- FOR THE DUTCH CRUMB TOPPING
- Using a microwave-safe bowl, make sure butter is softened, not all liquid.
- Add-in brown sugar.
- Next Flour.
- Then the secret ingredient ... ice cream cones crushed.
- Mix until crumbly.
- Spoon by spoon drop onto the pie, making sure to cover the entire pie surface.
- You can GENTLY press on the topping to make certain its covering, but as it bakes it will also spread.
- Once covered, place pie dish on tray (to help with spill-over) bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown*(see notes)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 1-hour minimum before serving (remember sugars in fresh fruit pie will be HOT!)
- Serve warm or cold.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.