To best celebrate the holidays, I choose foods that have the ability to add a pop of color.
Today, I am sharing my green and red holiday sushi rolls, a perfect party appetizer for the season!
Holiday sushi rolls can be an entree or an appetizer!
You’ll love the versatility of these green and red sushi rolls as they will definitely add a pop of the red and green we all celebrate during the season.
Better yet, the holiday sushi rolls are a versatile recipe because you could serve 1 per person as an entree or slice them into 18 generous slices and serve as appetizers.
I love recipes that kind of roll along with whatever I am doing and this is one of those.
Easy and Colorful
I think the hardest part of holiday sushi rolls is actually rinsing and then boiling the rice to get it just to the perfect sticky rice consistency.
Rollling the sushi rolls is easier than you might think, have some faith, it is the season of miracles, lol!
If you prefer the holiday buffalo plaid you can change yours up by changing the food coloring, it is that simple.
Christmas sushi ideas
One thing I have learned is that you do not have to stick to any ingredient that you don’t like.
So, please go ahead and personalize my green and red sushi to whatever interior ingredients you prefer.
I love shrimp, and crab, and avocados, and carrot sticks, but you might not, so sub in whatever you prefer and suddenly you have made your own sushi ideas.
Be sure to reach out and share those with me because I love to hear what my original recipes have been created into in your home!
Christmas Sushi Ideas for serving!
Once you make green and red sushi, you will surely want to make them present even more festive.
That’s the easy part!
- serve these on a gold or silver charger plate.
- place the sushi rolls sliced on a cake server with a lid
- or you could even place a small holiday tree next to the plate, and garnish with sprigs of rosemary laced with cranberries for even more color!
- Serve on red and green paper plates or clear plates.
- Use holiday festive napkins!
See, they are not only colorful but they will entice your inner holiday person to jump into the season even more with table decor!
Tips for Veggie Cuts & My Sushi roll setup
When you decide on a veggie, let’s say it’s avocado, you will want to cut it in Strips if you can.
Strips will make this present better, and make it easier to eat.
Chunks can work with carrots or ‘mock’ crab meat, but they can fall out.
For those using carrots, do use carrot sticks or match stick carrots and keep them all going vertical when you place them in.
IF using cucumbers, again small, thin sticks will work better than slices but chunks can work.
Yes, I use Nori in these
If you stare at this image, look at the green sushi roll, and I left a bit of NORI so you could see that it is being used for rolling.
Sometimes it seems that we food writers may not have all the listed ingredients in our recipes, but I can assure you I Do and that is why I took this photo!
Make your own
Try my very easy recipe.
You can keep or omit any ingredients you don’t prefer, add in your own.
Take and make for all the parties of the season or for your own personal appetizer. ~ XO Dana
- FOR THE SUSHI ROLL
- 4 Sheets of Nori
- A Cup of Sushi Rice
- 1 1/2 C Water
- 3 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- Food Coloring - green and red
- Everything But The Bagel
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 avocado scooped and sliced.
- Mini Cucumbers peeled and sliced into cubes or sticks.
- Carrots either in sticks or small chunks
- 6 Peeled Deveined and Tails off Cooked Shrimp
- Crab Meat Chunks 16 pieces cut in 1/2.
- Sweet Baby Ray's Secret Dipping Sauce
- Place sushi rice (or short grain) rice in a mesh sieve and rinse until the water runs clear.
- Place water and rice in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, cover it.
- Reduce the heat and allow ALL the water to absorb into the rice.
- While the Rice is cooking, prepare the Rice Vinegar mixture.
- In a small saucepan, on medium-low heat, add in rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Stir and make certain that both the salt and sugar disintegrate and then remove from heat.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool, while the rice is still cooking.
- See my helpful tip on cooling that sauce fast!
- Now return to the rice.
- Once the water is absorbed mix one time to move the rice and separate a bit.
- Take the rice vinegar out of the refrigerator and spread it all over the rice.
- Do not over mix, and do note that the rice will appear sticky.
- Divide the rice into 3 portions. (you will be making 3 rolls, but you will only color them green and red. However, to make this easy, I suggest still separating into 3 bowls so you can make 2 bowls red and one green or vice versa it just keeps the portioning part easy. )
- Each portion will create ONE sushi roll.
- In 3 separate bowls, place one of the portions.
- Work with each bowl to color it.
- One will be green.
- Another will be red.
- And the other will be either red or green, whichever you choose.
- Make sure to use a separate fork for each color of rice.
- Add a few drops (as many or as little as you prefer).
- Move on to the next bowl.
- Let the bowls of Colored Rice sit and set up to roll the Sushi Rolls
- First, cover your bamboo sushi rolling mat with plastic wrap.
- Next, make sure you have some water to dip either your rice wooden flattening spoon or your fingers ready.
- Place your Nori wrapper down.
- Then get a scoop of colored rice and add it to the wrapper. (you will do this 3x to make 3 using all 3 bowls)
- Do make sure to press it down to flatten (the shamoji paddle works well).
- Once the surface of the Nori has been covered place the plastic-coated bamboo mat atop and then flip so the wrapper is facing you, not the rice!
- Make a Line, about 1" up from the start of the long side you will be rolling.
- Roll, and crimp to make sure that it sticks together, and roll and repeat until you get to the end of the roll.
- If anything falls out, you can always tuck it back in!
- Slice down the middle.
- Add a Shrimp atop.
- Then drizzle with Sweet Baby Ray's Sauce for a little tang and bite!
- Repeat the steps above, from 28-36 for the 3 sushi rolls.
- Enjoy! ~ XO
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 630mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g
based on differing ingredients nutritional content is inaccurate as displayed.