It’s ONE birthday per person per year, so you’ll want to celebrate it big using simple birthday decorations that shout out that it’s YOUR or your loved ones’ birthday!
I’ve even attached a Free Birthday Celebration Tree Theme Printable so grab it and print it to help bring on the inspiration!
Disclosure. My post contains affiliate links (shortcuts to the products I think you are going to love and use because I do!) If you buy one of these items, DanaVento.Com will make a tiny commission, but it doesn’t affect your price. Consider me, your concierge to find these things faster without a lot of searching!
What is a Birthday Tree?
A birthday tree is an easy DIY birthday decoration idea adding vibrance to any birthday or birthday celebration, with big pops of festive colors and party vibes, using unusually simple birthday tree ornaments.
When Can You Use A Happy Birthday Tree?
Really the ‘when’ depends on you and your family size.
In our home, we celebrate 4, birthdays in a span of 3 weeks from June until July so we use the tree 4 times in 4 weeks.
- For each person’s birthday
- It’s not a birthday during Christmas but it could be to differentiate a birthday that gets STUCK in the midst of the holiday season and often gets ripped off!
- Use it for large birthday celebration parties, or make more than one to decorate a yard
- Anytime you want to add a pop of color or a special theme to a birthday party you should use this festive party tree
Why You’ll Love Birthday Celebration Tree
I could make a list of 100 reasons that I love this tree that celebrates birthdays in our home, but I’ll keep my thoughts a bit more condensed so you can do a rapid read and then use this post as a springboard to create your own tree for a birthday party!
Most homes have more than one-holiday tree during the season and you can use a small tree or a large tree, the idea is to create a party-popping, eye-stopping celebration moment for the person you are celebrating (even yourself!)
But here are some of the great reasons you’ll love this simple birthday decoration idea that is fun to DIY!
- easily reuses, recycles, or converts a Christmas tree into birthday decor
- fast and simple to decorate for birthdays
- it can be themed
- designed trees can easily be redesigned by simply changing the ornaments
- the holiday trees used for a birthday can be small, medium, or large
- if you don’t have a spare tree, wait for the end of the holiday season and score one reduced, reduced, reduced!
- the DIY can be done ahead had should be made ahead
- you can personalize the colors
- the tree ornaments for birthdays are super easy to find and inexpensive and found at the Dollar Tree!
- you can leave the tree decorated and stored for each year and each person
Items You Need To Make Your Happy Birthday Tree
- Mini Foil glitter Crowns
- The fabulous Christmas Tree if you don’t have one https://amzn.to/3OmLsY4
- Gold Foil Inflatable Numbers
- Gold Foil Garland
- Honeycomb Cupcake Printed or Any Honeycomb Party Decoration
- Rainbow Party Combo Tassels
- Tassels Tissue Rainbow Colors
- Pre-Inflated Mini “Happy Birthday” Balloons on Sticks
How To Make A Birthday Tree
As you all know if you read my blog regularly or see my Instagram Reels I heart the Dollar Tree when it comes to so many of my different DIY projects and this party tree DIY is no different!
They have a great party section but there is so much more to find there and let me clarify I don’t have a partnership with the store I just love it so I am sharing that information to help you know where to find great items at great prices!
Step 1: Build Your Christmas Tree and Convert It To A Birthday Party Tree
You’ll need to set up your tree and add all the boughs (see my review on Amazon too!).
Update: Sorry Readers, but here is a quick update, Amazon took down my review of the tree, so if you go over there to purchase it looking to read my reviews as you do you won’t find it, but it is better than any review you see my tree built from start to finish and a great set of photos that were not on Amazon. I can’t help how Amazon behaves, but I can help you find a great tree!
Then, if your tree is not prelit, go ahead and add the lights to pop it with what I’ll call the first lever color.
Step 2: Prep Your Birthday Ornaments For The Tree
You’ll want to place all of your birthday party decorations that you are going to convert into tree birthday ornaments out so that you see what you have and how it will place on the tree.
Remember if you don’t have a Christmas Pre Lit Tree You Can Grab One On Amazon Like I Did Right Here
Then, unwind any of the garland types so that you can just put them up without having them get into a tangled mess (learned my lesson, lol)
Plus you can figure out your spacing by laying out what party decor you have for the tree and eliminate what you don’t need.
Step 3: Work With the Vertical Party Ornament Trim First For The Party Tree
Add the long rainbow party birthday signs going vertical and space them from side to side and all around the tree, leaving just a bit of room in between each vertical rainbow party garland as you will need this space for the next step
Next, add the foil garland dots in between the vertical rainbow party which is why you left space.
Step 4: Add To The Decorated Birthday Christmas Tree By Adding The Colorful Tassels
The tissue rainbow tassels come with string, reserve it but don’t attach the tassels rather just attach the tassels to the boughs with the looped ends and vary the color while you move around the tree to keep the color moving.
Step 5: Crown That Party Tree For Birthdays
Using the mini foil glitter crowns, you’ll pull the elastic that is already on them, up through the crown to hang them upright and use the elastic to attach to the tree boughs.
I suggest alternating the colors and spreading them throughout the birthday celebration tree to keep the eye moving with color.
Step 6: Prep The Happy Birthday Tree Tree Topper With A Cupcake
Prep the tree topper, which is the honeycomb cupcake, but don’t close it.
Instead, wrap the honeycomb cupcake around the top branch and clamp with the provided clips plus add an additional book clip.
Step 7: Your Almost Done With The Decorated Birthday Christmas Tree
Inflate the foil numbers and use the string from the tassels to loop from side to side and then ad to the tree.
Add in the mini pre-inflated balloons for filler and fun Stand back and enjoy the tree! Happy Birthday To You!
What Themes Can I Make On A Birthday Celebration Tree?
Now you are asking me a loaded question because the combinations and possibilities are best stated by BUZZ LIGHTYEAR, “TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!”
You name the design, color, or theme, it’s out there, and in fact, you could totally decorate the tree in any way you want, it’s your tree or a tree for your family, but, here are a few small ideas to help you with a birthday decoration idea using a Christmas tree!
Here is a FREE Printable with Birthday Tree Celebration Themes TO Try
Grab Your Free Printable with themed Ideas for Your Tree!
- lottery scratch tickets
- Month trees like birthdays around St. Patricks Day Green, or Valentine’s Like birthday in Red
- Monthly birthstone colors
- a gift card birthday tree
- a toy car tree
Make Sure To Come Back and Tell Me How Your Happy Birthday Tree Turned Out
And here are the instructions in the printable form to build this tree!
- Christmas tree with lights
- Mini Foil glitter Crowns (these come 6 to a pack )
- Gold Foil Inflatable Numbers
- Gold Foil Garland
- Honeycomb Cupcake Printed Used as a Topper
- Rainbow Party Combo
- Tassles Tissue Rainbow Colors
- Mini Pre Inflated Balloons
- Clips For Topper
- Set up your Christmas Tree
- If the tree is not a prelit tree make sure to add the lights after you set the tree up
- Pull out all of your party supplies to decorate the tree and set them aside.
- First, add the long rainbow party birthday signs going vertical
- Next, add the foil garland dots in between the vertical rainbow party
- Next, add the tassels but don't use the supplied string just stick the tassels onto the branches each is looped so it is fast and easy.
- Add the crowns all over the tree using the elastic that is already on them, I pulled mine UP and through the crown to hang it upright and then added it to the branches.
- Prep the tree topper, but don't close it. Instead, wrap the honeycomb cupcake around the top branch and clamp with the provided clips plus add an additional book clip.
- Inflate the foil numbers and use the string from the tassels to loop from side to side and then add to the tree.
- Add in the mini pre-inflated balloons for filler and fun
- Stand back and enjoy the tree!
- Happy Birthday To You!