Have you ever had a mint julep?
Simple To Prepare Minted Cherry Gin Juleps For the Sophisticated Sipper
It’s quite tasty and really a drink I got to sample early on.
Simple, minty, cool, refreshing, and almost hard to believe that there’s alcohol in that glass.
However, if you sip a few, you’ll be knocked on your ass!
So, it’s cousin, a minted cherry gin julep is not far removed from the pleasurable sipping flavor that you have come to love in a mint julep.
But, what you will find is a fruity and refreshing cocktail, that is not quite sweet, but hardly tart.
The balance of this cocktail lies somewhere between the lime and the cherry mixture.
Grab those highball glasses, and your wide-brimmed hat, we are about to kick back and throwback (alright sip to sound more ladylike) a few minted cherry gin juleps.
While the title offers it’s for the sophisticated sipper, let’s be serious, this cocktail is for anyone that loves a refreshing drink with a kick of mint!
Minted Cherry Gin Juleps
Fruity, tart, sweet, yet balanced.
Iced, but not too much.
Sweetened, but not to the point of syrupy-spillover.
Sophisticated, but only by name.
Classic, but updated.
No bourbon required.
Ah, to all the nay-sayers, you don’t need whiskey or bourbon to make a totally sippable minted cherry Gin Julep!
Didn’t the name already tell you that?
Come on y’all, it’s time to sip, sip hooray and enjoy life today, with fab minted cherry gin juleps!
The Secret Of The Cherry
Now, I wouldn’t’ tell just anyone this secret.
In fact, I am sharing it just with you!
Cherries that you put into this drink will either Make the drink or break the drink.
Don’t come up on the latter part of that.
Sour cherries, tart cherries, yield the best drink ever.
Naturally, I am going to share how to balance out the sour of the cherry to the sweetness of the drink.
We will be cooking these cherries and since they are both juicy and acid-laden, they take to the heat so well!
These are darker cherries and NOT so sweet.
Don’t use maraschino cherries the recipe won’t be right.
My Other Favorite Part of Minted Cherry Gin Juleps
When you serve a cocktail, it’s 50% presentation and 50% test, right?
Well, these are my favorite Julep barware glasses for many reasons, but it starts with the appearance of crystal!
Conversely, I love these Stainless steel, sleek and totally fits ‘the sophisticated sipper’ don’t you agree?
Minted Cherry Gin Juleps
- 2 c. Morello dark cherries pitted, in syrup
- Agave Syrup or Honey 2 Tablespoons
- 1 c. water
- ¼ c. fresh lime juice
- 3/4 -1 C. fresh mint leaves washed patted dry, and torn (more is mintier or less for less minty)
- 2 c. Mint Gingerale
- Add 1 oz. gin per serving eliminate if making a Mocktail version
- Combine cherries, agave, and water in a small saucepan. (basically your cherry simple syrup)
- Place over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture is warmed through and bubbly.
- Do NOT Boil and watch this pot.
- Next, remove from heat and transfer the cherry mixture to a blender or food processor.
- You will blend until smooth.
- Then, pour this syrup into a pitcher and allow it to cool at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- At that time, add lime juice and mint leaves and stir to combine.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- For Serving: fill four serving glasses with ice and add ¼ cup dark cherry mixture,
- Then, add in ½ cup each mint ginger ale soda.
- Next, (1) one-ounce gin, if using, to each glass.
- Stir gently to combine and serve immediately.