Cheesecakes are lavish and as you know I bake them quite often. When the season of Fall comes knocking on our doorstep and into our window eaves, it is time to consider warmer, more appealing flavors of cool and tantalizing cheesecake. My family loves pumpkin pies, however, that is just too basic of a dessert for my personal flair, so I have dressed up pie, created a pumpkin cheesecake that is embellished with the great taste of pumpkin and spice and everything nice, including bourbon! This is my story of lavishly living food out loud while creating the ultimate recipe for Fall Cheesecakes: A Bourbon Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake.
A pumpkin cheesecake is just a cheesecake until I added in my special ingredients, like pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and Four Roses Bourbon. I even toasted the creation of this new recipe myself, with a few shots, as I was practicing this cheesecake. If I am going to bake, I better be able to enjoy the tastes that come with it! My choice of Bourbon was Four Roses Bourbon which is an American Crafted Bourbon that will offer you tastes of pear and has a light fruitiness accompanied by gentle spice, honey and floral tastes! Taking a little nip(you bet I did) the Palate on this is crispy, smooth, mellow, and you will note that there is a hint of apple(Fall Flavor Perfect!). This is 80 Proof. 40% alcohol/volume
You can imagine that a 2014 Gold Medal winner of both the San Francisco Spirits Competition, 2014Gold Medal; Denver International Spirits Competition is best placed in my bar and my recipes! If it is a Gold Medal winner, it has already won you all over, now it is time to win my family over with a great tasting Bourbon Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake.
I stopped at Whole Foods to really get the best ingredients available for making this cheesecake, so the more Organic the better! My little shopping trip afforded me the opportunity to buy just enough spices for the recipe(I don’t like storing spice, as it does not stay fresh long) and of course gathering Cage Free Eggs, Organic Dairy Products and Organic Pumpkin! Are you hankering for a piece of this spiced bourbon pumpkin cheesecake yet?
Bourbon Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
- Crust Ingredients
- Purchase a ready made Graham Cracker Crust or....
- 3/4 Cup of Graham Crackers crumbled fine
- 1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 C of Butter that is melted
- 1 1/2 C Pumpkin canned or in a carton
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 8 oz packages of softened Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar packed tight
- 1 1/2 Tsp of Vanilla
- 3 Tbsp of Bourbon
- 1 Tbsp of Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tsp of Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp of Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp of Pumpkin Spice
- 1 Tsp of Allspice
- 1/2 C of Granulated Sugar
THE Final Topping
- 1 1/2 Cups of Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp of Bourbon
- 2 Tbsp of Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp of Sugar
- 1 Tbsp of Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tbsp of Honey
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
- For Crust simply crush graham crackers, and then add graham crackers, sugars, butter into the bottom of pan. Once placed in Spring pan, bake for 5 minutes, remove from oven, allow to cool and mix filling.
- Mix eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and bourbon together.
- Add in Granulated sugar, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Pumpkin Spice & Allspice, until thoroughly blended.
- Add in Cream Cheese
- Add in Pumpkin
- Beat until very smooth.
- Pour into Cooled Prepared Crust and place this all on another pan(in case of spillover)
- Bake for about one hour until the center is just set(mine usually splits as pictured so I know it is done.
- Once baked, do not turn oven off, but bring cheesecake out and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Now on to the topping layer.
- Mix the sour cream, sugar, whipping cream together.
- Add In Bourbon, Vanilla, Cinnamon. and honey
- Spread the topping across the lightly cooled baked Filling. Please note, this is not a running topping, you will need to spread it and you wan to be careful to not PULL your newly baked filling apart. A light touch will do you best.
- Once the topping is on, bake again for 7 minutes which is just enough time to let the topping set.
- Bring it out of oven, and allow it to cool on a cooling rack in its pan for 3 hours.
- Once three hours passes, Cover it, and chill for an additional 5 hours before attempting to remove it from spring pan.
Tips & Tricks of The Bourbon Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake
You really want to let the step between the cheesecake’s initial baking and the layering of the topping happen slowly, so as to not pull and tear the freshly baked cheesecake. Pictured above is my topping, you can see it is light, and spreads easily, I used an icing spatula. I made sure to cover all the edges.
You can add nuts into the top layer, if your family likes them, or you could add a bitter chocolate to change the taste.
To decrease the fat in the recipe, change your Sour Cream and Cream Cheese to non-fat or 1/3 less fat, whatever you can find.
This is what my Cheesecake looks like from the side, it turned out well, but it took me a few tries while tweaking the recipe.
Finally, I want to show you what the mixed up ingredients look like, so you know if you are headed in the right direction with the batter and what it should look like Before and After it is baked.
What you see above is the Before and After baking and the after is right before you put the top layer on, lol! I love spirited baking and the creation has such a nice fall taste. DO make sure to cut thing pieces as it is quite filling, but so very delicious. I served this with Pumpkin Spiced Latte of course topped with a dollop of whipped cream! This is my story of lavishly living food out loud while creating the ultimate recipe for Fall Cheesecakes: A Bourbon Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake. What kinds of desserts do you make for the fall?