Simple changes can make a huge impact on your living space. In particular, creating an outdoor living space that caters to everyone in the family! Have you considered a TV for the outdoors?
Convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv!
While you might think it uncommon and unnatural, it is more commonplace than you may realize.
Until recently, however, a tv in your outdoor living space might have been too costly as outdoor televisions pricing starts at $1k and increases with accessories and hanging paraphernalia. There are a few options. However, please remember, that you will void any warranty on your tv when you install an indoor tv outdoors.
Fear not, this simple DIY will show you how to take almost any or 42″-75″* unit and convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv.
Yes, you can convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv, but should you?
When we move outdoors and increase our living spaces, you know the weather is why we are there! Spring, summer, and fall are divine in most parts of the nation, so the outdoors pleases most of us.
We make bonfires and grill while sipping beers and wine under the stars are just part of the outdoor fun. Now, consider those in your family that love ball games, ice hockey, football, racing, and at the same time crave the outside!
Don’t forget that kids love to be outside, but they do have something in them known as ‘stop motion’ when they like to hang too. Well, you will love learning how to convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv to keep them outside, getting fresh air, and enjoying tv time! A winning combination.
The concept of outdoor tv in your outdoor living space should be starting to come into focus, is it? Get ready because outdoor entertainment on television is a wonderful option.
Can you convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv as a DIY or not?
Really the answer to whether or not a tv in your outdoor living space is a DIY or not lies within your hands and knowledge of handiness. In the end, you’ll not have the huge costs of outdoor television, so, it is affordable to hire a handyman for the install.
However, for those that prefer to be hands-on and DIY a TV in your outdoor living space, well hats off and go for it!
In the end, I am not suggesting a simple cover like this one. Rather I am suggesting a FULL enclosure, a weatherproof, theft-proof shell, are you up for the challenge?
Consider this before you convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv
Remember, this article is just dropping inspiration, I am NOT suggesting doing this project, as there are things you need to consider. As always you will find advantages and disadvantages to every DIY right? So just think it all through!
- Taking a tv outdoors is on you
- Outdoor TVs are made to be exposed to the elements, indoor TVs are not
- There are no guarantees that your television will not malfunction. Rather this is an option to use to help your tv become weatherproof.
- Always consider the electrical situation outdoors in reference to the operational function, grounding, and surges.
- However, the enclosures I’ve found offers SURGE Protection (so take that out of the worry list)
- Do consult an electrician.
Insight About how to convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv.
Here’s the part where you scream Hallejuha! The television you are installing outside need not be an outdoor television.
No, I am not puffing the magic dragon in sharing this, I am being honest. You can install almost any indoor television you want outdoor, just remmber again, the warranty gets voiced.
For this install, all you need to know is what size tv you are installing!
You know a little bit of research on the internet usually leads to a perfectly amazing solution! IN this case, you will be using a tv you have in the house, found on sale, etc, and you will convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv!
Using an everyday tv and turning it into television that becomes weatherproof without being a weatherproof tv!
The DIY to Make Your TV Functional Year-Round: Let’s go!
So, what exactly do you use to convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv? You are about to discover a weatherproof outside tv enclosure.
In fact, almost any basic LCD, or LED television (manufactured from 2010 forward) will be able to be enclosed in this. Pretty amazing right?
Advantages Of A TV Cover: Convert an indoor tv into an outdoor tv (providing panel is down, not open
- The tv can get hit by a ball and it’s impact resistant, so kid-proof or drunk adult proof (lol)
- Snow is not a problem
- Ice won’t harm the tv.
- There is a powered fan to control the airflow of the TV so it won’t overheat
- treated to be Anti-reflective of sun glare (yeah)
- Theft proof as there are built-in locks
- Yes, cables can pass through your television – no problem!
- Rain is not an issue.
- Heat and the direct sun won’t harm the encased television
- Bugs can’t enter the tv.
- mounting hardware is provided.
- TV anytime, on almost any tv.
- No cost of a weatherproof outdoor tv because you’ve made yours weatherproof with this enclosure.
- Splashing pool water or a sprinkler won’t’ harm the television.
Why Convert an indoor tv to an outdoor tv
- Installing a tv in your outdoor living space gives you a bigger area to gather in.
- Allows you to enjoy the great outdoors through many seasons instead of just one.
- Provides a fun way to take a break and catch golf, a movie, a football game without having to be inside!
- Is easier to install than you thought.
- Actually is a really great way to use an everyday television and turn it into a new entertainment venue.
- Great for parties.
- Perfect for those nights you don’t want to actually go out, but you want to be out!
Get the Best Of Both Worlds: outdoors and entertainment!
Now you’ve figured out how to make it happen, what are you waiting for? It’s time to install a tv in your outdoor living space so you can enjoy it! Grab the best of both worlds, without that huge price tag!
Do remember to purchase an outdoor mounting kit for your television! Enjoy ~ Dana XO
*For most LED LCD TVs manufactured from 2010 forward.