Today we will share a quick overview of 5 really fast garage door area updates you can do in ONE day (a few hours) to instantly unlock garage door curb appeal.
Garage door area updates are important to a home’s presentation, and if you live in an HOA, tackling this easy DIY is almost a necessity more than a choice.
The DIY ideas for around-the-garage doors are super impressive, super easy projects to do, and a novice-level homeowner project, which is why we love it so much!
While our article will share the DIYS that score immediate gratification that will surprise you, we encourage you to dig deeper and do more, and we will share why too!
Understanding The Scope Of The Area Around The Garage Doors
Your DIY for garage door curb appeal extends side to side, up and down around the door, and the area above the door and within the door frame.
In many homes, what you see when you approach the home is the driveway area and the garage door area; together, they can affect the home’s curb appeal.
Table of Contents
5 Fast Garage Door Area Updates Instantly Unlock Curb Appeal
Stay on task to increase the curb appeal, and make your garage door area updates help add value to your home.
For anyone getting ready to sell their home, the more attractive the exterior looks, the more likely you are to attract potential buyers.
Check your garage door before you begin for telltale signs you need garage door repair
- the cables are not attached to the spring
- the door is not lining up
- there are gaps at the base where the door meets the ground
- The door makes screeching noises when it goes up or down
- The door keeps getting stuck when it is put or down
Once you settle the garage door issues, you can move on to cleaning the area as follows.
#1 Clear The Workpath Around the Garage Doors
You can’t dig in if the work area is congested with garages ranging from garbage cans, stuffed trash bags, planters, bikes, lawnmowers, etc.
Start by making 3 piles:
- throw away
Once you clean up what is in the way, move it to the correct area (trash, donation pile, or in the garage itself) and move on.
#2 Garage Door Area Updates: Clean The Garage Door
You have a few choices for your DIY to help you clean the garage door.
- Use a sponge or microfiber clothes that are not abrasive
- Try a mixture of Dawn liquid with water (so that paint won’t be stripped)
- Use a long scrubbing pole (like for washing cars)
- Use a powerwasher to wash the garage door top to bottom and the inside trim.
If you scrub the door by hand, you will get a great workout, so elbow grease is a good idea.
Don’t forget that before you do anything else to the garage door, you must let the entire area dry.
You are well underway with your DIY garage door curb appeal, and shortly you will be done, but let’s keep going.
We have a few more tasks to complete before we are done and a few other tips!
Power Washing Tips Before Washing Your Garage Door Area
Do note if you are using a power washer, you can be overzealous and strip paint if you choose the wrong tips on the nozzle or scrub with the brush handle too hard.
Be careful around the garage doors, so you don’t scrub the paint off either if you are close to the trim, the door, etc.
Power washing makes this job so much faster, and you can also clean the pathways to and from the garage, which is a great way to increase the garage door curb appeal.
#2 Tend To The Landscaping Around The Garage
While the door is drying, you can start working on the landscaping around the garage.
- Pull any weeds on either side of the door and the driveway leading to the door
- If the lawn needs to be cut, do that now while the door is drying
- pull the planters apart, add fresh potting soil
- Paint the planters, if you have some, to freshen their appearance
- Trim the greenery that is by the garage doors or in the vicinity
- Mulch, if there is an area that is exposed and not planted, clean it up and appear fresh
Don’t forget to clean the gutter area as well!
Suggestions To Help Green Up The Landscaping Around the Garage Door
Greenery is always welcoming, and it matches any garage door.
- You can add shrubs, but they will need to be watered and trimmed
- you can add plants, but you will need to keep the weeds at bay
- Add planters with shrubs; make sure they are tall to add height to the sides of the garage door area.
Other Simple Landscaping Around Garage Door Area Options
- Consider fake bushes, trees, and plants that are safe outdoors.
- The greenery could double for holiday season decor when wrapped with lighting.
- Try rose bushes on the sides of your garage doors; they love the sun
- Roses are easy to maintain and trellis well (if you choose a trellising rose), adding a decorative touch
#3 Paint Trim Around Garage Door
Once you have done the landscaping around the garage, your door should be dry, and if it is, you want to paint the trim around the garage door area.
This will freshen and enhance the garage door, making it look cleaner and stand out.
Bonus: DIY Paint Garage Exterior (Door)
This is an optional task choice, depending on whether you are going ALL IN on this project or want to get it done.
You might find that your garage door needs a coat of paint, and you must purchase the right paint for your garage door.
Garage doors are made of all different kinds of material, and you will need to know what yours is made of before you attempt a painting job.
While this is not part of our easy and instant way to gain curb appeal, it is a different job you can choose to do, but also an entirely different DIY garage door improvement article without replacing it.
#4 Magnetic Handles Garage Decor
The magnetic handles for a garage door are amazing, and adding these to a door upgrades the door without having to replace the door.
Are they powerful magnets, and will they hold in place? YES!
All you have to do is wash your garage door, wait for it to dry, and then place your new garage door magnetic hardware evenly and on the same level.
It takes 5 minutes to place these magnetic hardware pieces in the right areas and to keep them level.
Eyeball it, and you are done.
No drilling, no screws, and nothing but magnetic attraction.
A simple DIY that makes a huge impact on how the garage door looks and it truly adds to the curb appeal.
#5 Light Up The Garage Door Area
You may or may not want to add lighting or change lighting, but it does help light the area up at night, and during the day, the lighting fixtures give it a bit of decor and warmth.
If you don’t have any lights surrounding the garage door area or around the garage doors, it’s time to LIGHT it up!
For those already having lighting, update your lights as part of your garage door updates to give it a fresh look, and you might find lights that conserve energy.
Lighting As Part of Your DIY Garage Door Curb Appeal Upgrades
Those that don’t have lights around the garage door area have an advantage; the world of lighting is your oyster when it comes to choice.
- Find solar side lights that attach to the area around or above the garage door.
You won’t need an electrician if you use solar lighting.
You must attach the lights to the surface around the garage door, which is easy!
Remember, balance is key when you buy lights.
Choose the lights to be large enough to provide light without being obnoxious.
Don’t forget to light up the driveway or pathway that leads to the garage.
There are flat solar discs that are perfect to put into the ground, and the lawnmower won’t hurt them.
Conversely, try hanging solar-powered lighting for lighting gathered as the solar panel harnesses the power.
How To Upgrade Existing Fixtures Without Changing THem
If you already have exterior fixtures, let the light shine through.
- Clean all the glass on the exterior and interior; dirt makes lights lack curb appeal.
- Replace the bulb with an LED Bulb that saves you money when it is on and if you forget to turn it off!
- Consider painting the fixtures to clean them up if they look worn or faded.
Other DIY Garage Door Curb Appeal Items To Consider
Remember, the lead area to your garage is your driveway.
If your driveway looks like it needs repair, well, fix it.
If your driveway is asphalt, get it repaired, sealed, or replaced.
If it is cement, wash it, seal it, and call it a day!
A fresh-sealed cement driveway looks clean and seals the cement from those harsh elements like salt, etc.
Which Of The Fast Garage Door Area Updates Will You Use?
Most of these are simple DIY projects and can be completed within one day or a few hours, depending on how much your exterior garage area needs to be cleaned up.
You can order everything you need for your clean-up project online and pick it up at the local home improvement stores, or you can order it from Amazon.
Either way, it’s a small project to tackle, and the ROI is a better eye-catching home and garage
If you live in an HOA, you will be happy to get ahead of those fabulous warning notices or fines they hand out when they go on their tantrums!
Transform the look from blah to ‘ah’! ~ Dana XO
Leave a Reply