You won’t find an easier 1-ingredient easy new year’s pretzel, a good luck tradition in our Italian home.
With all of the holidays, we spend way too much time in the kitchen. I’ve conceded to share how to make your new year’s pretzel tradition so much easier!
My 1-ingredient easy new year’s pretzel will be the best fix to too much baking!
Table of Contents
The 1-Ingredient Easy New Year’s Pretzel Story In My Family
Ever since I can remember, my Nonno Louis and Nonna Santa delivered a New Year’s Pretzel to our home on December 30. Without exception, I enjoyed a sweet bite of the good luck new year’s pretzel every year.
Once my grandparents passed, my parents kept the tradition alive. Now married, we do this for our family. Our traditional new year’s pretzel is to usher in luck for the new year, and we’ve religiously followed tradition year after year.
It’s not just a Pittsburgh or Vento thing; it’s a world tradition. Year after year, a giant, sweet bread pretzel arrived in a bakery box with a clear view top, so the icing did not stick, and it was and is the most anticipated New Year’s food item each year!
But my son has severe food allergies, and we wanted to keep the tradition alive and kicking in Casa Vento, so we had to find a way to make our pretzel that tasted yummy like those store-sweet bread pretzels and yet avoid those contaminants he can’t have.
The Stores Offer Iced Sweet Bread Pretzels, Not Sweet Cinnamon
You can buy iced sweet bread pretzels in so many flavors in the stores, but as a mom of a child with severe food allergies, I don’t, and those are not iced sweet cinnamon pretzels; they are often just a flaky sweet dough.
Store offerings include a fabulous host of allergens:
- Icing that is white with red cherries (allergic)
- Icing covered with chopped walnuts. (allergic)
- icing, nuts, cherries, and fruits (allergic)
- Icing and jam, etc. (can’t have most fruits — allergic)
Why You’ll Love Our Iced Sweet Cinnamon Pretzel For New Year’s
Generally, you’ll find most don’t offer a cinnamon flavor running throughout the purchased sweetbreads, but it should for a great flavor!
- Ours uses a simple 1-ingredient store-bought item.
- You don’t need mixing tools or much kitchen equipment to make an iced sweet cinnamon pretzel.
- The sweet pretzel for new years can be made ahead of time
- the pretzel for new year’s eve that brings good luck is easily transportable
- The good luck pretzel can be iced, topped with cherries, nuts, fruit, or nothing to meet your dietary needs.
So that my whole family can enjoy those sweet, yummy new year’s traditions, also known as iced sweet cinnamon pretzels, I began baking our New Year’s Pretzels, made out of sweet bread, not store-purchased dough.
Why risk the store’s offerings with cross-contamination and too few choices with marked-up pricing? I created and mastered a rather large 1-ingredient and about 20 minutes!
How To Make Our 1-ingredient Easy New Year’s Pretzel
Now it is your turn to take a bite of the New Year’s Tradition with an iced sweet cinnamon pretzel and make your own, and then you can pass the great luck and good luck of the new year to other family and friends!
Join the tradition and indulge in a 1-ingredient easy new year’s pretzel that any level home chef (novice to pro) can enjoy.
Step 1: Preheat Your Oven
Preheat your oven to the temperature suggested on the can of cinnamon rolls (brands differ)
Step 2: Prepare Your Baking Pan
Step 3: Prep The Cinnamon Rolls And Icing
Pull the cinnamon rolls out and separate them around your tray, as I did in the video.
For thicker pretzels, you will use two roll pieces and braid them together, however for thinner pretzels, you will cut one strip in half and braid it (while not in the video, this is what you do)
Form all the pieces of the good luck cinnamon pretzels, and make sure to round the tops out to look like a pretzel.
Form the knot of the pretzels in the middle.
Step 4: Bake the Sweet Cinnamon Pretzel
The house will smell of cinnamon, which will be delicious once baked.
Pop the large cinnamon good luck New year’s pretzel into the oven and bake according to the can directions. Mind you, you will add extra time as it is larger and twisted together, but that is all on the can!
Step 5: Remove the Baked Cinnamon Pretzel From The Oven
Allow the sweet cinnamon pretzel to cool before icing it.
Once it is cooled, you can ice and decorate your iced sweet cinnamon pretzel for new year’s eve and new year’s. Good luck!
Step 6: To Keep The Iced Sweet Cinnamon Pretzel Fresh
Our favorite tips are as follows: If you have two baking pans of the same brand, we generally stack one atop and inverted on the other, so there is no contact, yet the good luck new year’s pretzel with cinnamon and icing is covered so it won’t go stale.
PRO TIP: How To Twist A Sweet Cinnamon Pretzel For Baking
For anyone that has never rolled a pretzel before, we’ve made a post about rolling a pretzel, no matter what material you are working with, and a short video to help.
Use our videos here to make pretzels, learn to twist a pretzel, and make sweet dough for pretzels.
Alternative Ingredients We Used For An Iced Sweet Cinnamon Pretzel
The best in iced sweet cinnamon pretzels is the 1-ingredient cinnamon rolls, but we have tried some other items, and no, no, and more no!
- No to Bisquick
- No to Phyllo dough
I tried Bisquick, let’s say, “hell no!” It was awful, crumbly, and resembled a biscuit, and the flavor was just so bad; the only thing to do was spit it out!
Phyllo dough is too crunchy and delicate and better for baklava, not a good luck new year’s pretzel.
Easy New Year’s Pretzel Options From Scratch
Just in case you are a total from-scratch person, check out the image below, and you can make your own uncomplicated, totally from-scratch new year’s pretzels, and yes, I do those too!
It’s homemade dough and super easy!↓ ↓↓↓↓
Food Allergies + The 1-Ingredient Easy New Year’s Pretzel
While my son is allergic to nuts, he is NOT allergic to wheat and dairy.
While this recipe may work for my family, it may not work for yours, but it is super easy if you want to make it to pass out good luck and very cost-effective.
We offer another option, but it contains milk, so if you aren’t allergic to milk, look at our recipe for new year’s sweet cinnamon dough pretzels.
Our 1-Ingredient Easy New Year’s Pretzel Won’t Break The Bank.
Over the years, the price of a New Year’s Pretzel has INCREASED, and the size of the pretzels has drastically DECREASED.
Pretzels purchased at the store for the new year good luck used to be the size of a large cookie tray, but now, they are the size of a mini pizza, and the price is about $9- 13 each depending on where you buy them.
It’s dough, not a fancy car. Retailers have made the price offensive, and to be honest, there’s a lack of taste and certainly no consistency in taste or presentation.
These will cost you less depending on when you buy the cinnamon rolls and how many you buy!
When To Serve The Iced Sweet Cinnamon Pretzel?
Serve either at the last stroke of midnight to ring in good luck or before you bite into ANY food the next day as the first bite of good luck for the new year!
What Do I Serve The 1-Ingredient Easy New Year’s Pretzel On?
Make Sure To Come Back and Tell Me How Your 1-Ingredient Easy New Year’s Pretzel Turns Out.
Here’s my New Year’s Gift to you, a fast, tasty, and economical way to create the Best New Year’s Pretzel with simple ingredients!
Happy New Year. ~ Dana XO
GRAB the Recipe For 1-Ingredient Easy New Year’s Pretzel
1-ingredient easy New Year’s Pretzel
- 1 Large Baking Tray
- 2 Pieces of Parchment Paper one for baking, and one for after baking
- 2 Cans of Cinnamon Roll Dough 5 Rolls to a Can and icing
- 1 Spatula
- Open each can of dough.
- Remove the icing and set aside.
- Spread the parchment paper across the cookie tray.
- Now, separate the 2 cinnamon rolls together at a time.
- Do this 4 more times. You want pairs of 2.
- Next, unwind a pair of 2 cinnamon rolls but keep them together if you can.
- It’s time to make ONE side of the pretzel.
- Just braid from end to end and set on one side of the tray.
- Repeat this and do it for the other side of the pretzel.
- Of course, repeat again for the bottom of the pretzel.
- Now you need to make the ‘x’ across the center of the pretzel.
- It’s best to watch the video for this.
- Basically, you are going to braid another set of rolls and go top to bottom in a diagonal, then for the other side as well.
- Do leave overhang at the base of the pretzel.
- Bake at 375° for just 12-15 minutes (ovens vary so watch yours).
- Remove, and while the tray is cooling, place the icing cups n the middle of the pan (sitting on the metal lids so the plastic does not melt from the heat).
- What you are doing is warm the icing up so it is easier to spread.
- Once the pretzel is cooled, spread the icing across the pretzel with a spatula, and if wanted you can sprinkle with Holiday Sprinkles.