Today we will share simple ideas to make your house a home so that it takes on its greatest asset, your and your family’s personality! Personalize your space, decorate your home, and give it the customized personal touch, which is what making a home comfortable and liveable is all about!
When you have made your home comfortable and liveable, you’ll find that you’ll feel at ease when you spend time there, and so will your family. Y’all will kick back, and your kids will probably bring their friends around nonstop!
Before you can make your house a home, more organized, or use your space to the best of your ability, you need some simple ideas to help you. I can offer just a few; this is my forte as a DIY gal!
More of us take on ways to organize and live better starting January 1 than any other day of the year. Today’s post will share how to welcome the new year with simple ideas to make your house a home!
Table of Contents
1. A Walk Through + A Punch List
At one of my first big ” official corporate jobs, ” I learned to use a punch list at every retail location I entered to ensure that each location ran like a well-oiled machine and made it recognizable no matter which location the client shopped.
Does your home offer that? It should. A punch list is a list that keeps things working and organized.
- Use a punch list for general “hanging rooms” so that when you are done organizing it, no matter who is hanging out, they will know where the blankets, controllers, charging cords, and spare batteries are.
- The punch list will also help you streamline what you need to buy and what you don’t (spare LED Bulbs, toilet paper, etc.)
- Finally, a punch list can help you make a decision for later about updating and renovating a room
Making a home comfortable and liveable starts with a punch list that gives you an overview of what everyone needs to know about a room to keep them happy and content without making you run every time someone looks for stuff in that room!
#2 Create A Room’s Personality = Tips For Decorating Your HOME
Once you’ve tackled the punch list, made a familiarity zone in each room, and created hidden spaces that encase the clutter (ottomans, chest tables, or entertainment center storage), you can now move on to get a feel for the spaces.
- Does each room have wall art or hangers?
- Are there pillows and blankets for comfort in your gathering rooms?
- Are all the bathrooms decorated with some wall art?
- Can you lay your hands on what you are looking for with any drawer in any room? Could your kids?
- Do your rooms have a theme, or are they space to retreat to?
- Do you have lounging chairs and charging ports in the hi-use rooms?
When decorating your home, building up larger ideas is best. Start small with things that can easily be reversed or replaced. For instance, this peel and stick wood is a fantastic way to add texture and color to your walls, and it doesn’t require you to get set up to repaint all your walls or do anything fancy.
Similarly, you could add a couple of throw pillows for a splash of color on your sofa or even just put some potted plant decorations on your shelves. It’s all about making your space more comfortable and unique, tailoring it to your tastes to feel more home-like.
#3 Create Grown-up Spaces + Kid Spaces
Making a home comfortable and liveable means you consider every person living in the house when you are working to personalize your space.
Therefore, there should be dedicated adult spaces and dedicated kid spaces.
While they can overlap and sometimes do, the general idea is to make a space where you and your partner can work, or be together, while the kids are in a separate zone, and this does not mean just your bedroom.
Office spaces often have desks and a couch, so that works well for adults. Kids can use those spaces when the adults are not in there to watch tv. Etc.
That being said, there are plenty of good reasons to keep at least a little bit of the house as a grown-up space. However, that’s not to say that the kids should be banned; nothing could be further from the truth.
#4 Artwork Becomes Framed Art to Personalize Your Space
Kids are little artists, but far too many family homes get overrun by school drawings and the other mess kids tend to make. Consider bringing a little class to the grown-up space’s decorations. Conversely, your kids might have posters on their walls, but don’t forget to consider LED lighting and fun framed prints!
#5 Why To Consider Placement of Family Photos
These tips for decorating your home should not be overlooked, especially if you have young adults and teenagers with friends (friends for now) visiting your home.
From favorite vacation photos to family photos, it is essential to showcase these in the right places properly, so don’t take these tips for decorating your home lightly, as there can be serious challenges ahead.
- Who is in the photo, and how old are they?
- Are there any things you wouldn’t want strangers to see or guests so your family is not embarrassed?
Unfortunately, kids are mean to other kids, friendships are hardly forever, and anything other kids have to use against kids can truly be a takeaway from your home when you personalize your space.
I state this with a heavy heart but from true personal experience.
👉 Pro Decorating Tip With Family Photos + Social Media
Always remember many people may pass through your home, and social media spreading takes a single snap to broadcast a life; while some guests are friends, later they may not be, and people are mean. Consider what you share and where.
#6 WiFi Matters When Making A Home Comfortable and Livable
Consider all the tips for decorating your home we have covered and one thing that keeps appearing each time we share a tip to personalize your space.
Placing charging ports in every room because making a home comfortable and liveable means using a reliable internet provider so your WiFi runs as freely as water does from a faucet.
The meat and potatoes of every comfortable and livable home are wrapped into and around an internet connection, and life without the internet is practically unimaginable.
👉 Pro Tip: A good and fast internet connection is necessary for any home.
- WiFi is used for computer connections.
- The Internet is used for streaming movies and music
- Internet services provide a way to work from home
- Internet and WiFi allow your alarms and heating and cooling to be adjusted while you are away.
- A good internet connection allows you to keep in touch with family and friends and access to a wealth of information and resources.
Use an internet provider offering the best deals on internet packages to get the most affordable and fast internet connection from your home!
Search for a provider here.↓↓↓
Find internet providers in your area. You’ll want great internet service, especially with a family, so the kids can do their thing while you do yours.
#7 Tips To Make Your Outdoor Space of Your Hom Comfortable And Livable
One of the most common mistakes that many people make when trying to improve their home is to focus entirely on the interior of it.
- Add a dining table to your patio area
- Add a carpet to your outdoor space.
- Pergolas are great accent pieces, as are roofs to cover the patios in case of inclimate weather.
- To make your home comfortable and livable, add plants and florals for pops of color and extra O2
- Perhaps a fire pit for gatherings
- Consider a pizza oven and an outdoor kitchen
- Make sure to keep all the bushes and shrubs trimmed
- Treat the area for pests, insects, etc., using essential oils or sprays (whichever you prefer)
- If pests are a more serious problem, it could be best to hire professional mosquito control
- Add lighting, such as cafe lights, to keep the party going after the sun goes down.
- Don’t forget to add some wall art that can survive in the outdoors too
#8 Your Signature Home Scent
One last item on our list of simple ideas to make your house a home includes a home scent. Every home has its smell, which is the smell your family loves.
Sometimes it is fresh laundry, other times it is food smells, but it’s always home. What is your home smell? Is there a cleaner you use that is a signature smell? Do you have a fresh linen scent that your home shares?
Do you burn candles with a special scent? Whatever it is, your family recognizes and relates it as “HOME.”
Use Our Simple Ideas To Make Your House A Home
The truth is that the only ones who can fully understand what your home needs to feel happier, cozier, and more comfortable are you and your family. Sure, there’s tons of advice online, but it’s your home, and our tips for decorating your home are tips, ideas, and springboards.
The best way to make a home comfortable and liveable is not to follow other people’s advice without putting your spin on things.
Sit with your family and decide precisely what you want from your home. What is the best version of all of you? Is it a pillow? A renovation of a piece of furniture? Simple new lighting or light bulbs?
Make a punch list for your home. Once you get it formed, keep up on it. Consider how to make it the best place for all of you to live. Only when you do that can you turn your house into the perfect home?
Families make homes and don’t just live in houses. Museums are good to look at, but homes let you live, feel, create, and enjoy!
Now it’s your turn to tell me, What do you want to live in, a house or a home? ~ DANA XO Tell me in the comments below!