Do not sabotage your vacation. Is vacation sabotage really a thing? Yes, it is.
A comfortable vacation is the aim of the game when it comes to travel and we all love our vacations don’t we?
But are you guilty of taking away the pleasure of a relaxing vacation and making it a horrid nightmare on so many levels?
Our goal is to share 5 things to avoid doing before and on vacation so you don’t suck the life out of what could be a fabulous relaxing vacation!
How Often Are You Truly Comfortable On Vacation?
If you can’t look back at your past vacations and say, we were really having fun and enjoying vacation, then vacation sabotage was at play!
The fact of the matter is, for most, it’s not often we feel truly comfortable when taking a vacation or holiday but it is because you do not know how to relax on vacation!
We’ve got a lot of rushing around to do to get from one destination to another, and we want to make good use of our time in a new country!
But if you are planning your first time away in a few years (thanks to the pandemic), then you may be more worried than most over how you’ll feel on your next vacation.
Maybe you’re concerned about not being able to truly relax. After all, it’s hard to do when you’re not used to taking a break!
However, right now is a better time than ever to try and disconnect from your usual life and find yourself again abroad and that’s something we’re passionate about!
So without further ado, here are our best tips on how to not sabotage your vacation with clear ideas of what to avoid so you can have an energizing and relaxing vacation!
#1 Don’t Let Your Guard Down Or You Could Regret It
Enjoying vacation means that you will be safe while you travel and if you throw caution to the wind, there could be some very negative issues that arise. Don’t sabotage your vacation, instead do the following:
- make sure wherever you are staying that you will have good phone signal strength and service
- purchase a travel insurance policy
Buy into Safety
Staying safe while you traverse a city you don’t know, or stay in some countryside you’re unaware of, is the most relaxing principle while on vacation.
If you know you’re covered no matter where you go, both in terms of connectivity and finances, you’re going to feel a lot safer about trying out new things and going to new places.
It’s easier to explore when you can let people back home know where you’re going and it’s definitely easier to have a good time when you know a potential trip to the hospital won’t cost you thousands because you covered yourself with travelers insurance!
#2 Don’t Sabotage Your Vacation By Jam Packing Your Itinerary!
Every blessed day that we are not enjoying vacation we are at work, with a jam-packed itinerary so what the frickety-frack are you doing packing your vacation up like it is a job? STOP the insanity!
You need to know how to relax on vacation and be comfortable on vacation, it is not a job!
Don’t Overpack the Itinerary
How To Relax on Vacation Rules:
- The itinerary you set for your vacation should not be jam-packed with things to do
- You need to sleep, eat, relax, and repeat in order to experience an energizing vacation
- Skim the initial itinerary list of proposed activities and choose one every other day or every 3rd day instead!
- Don’t hop from one side of an island to another, instead use that adventure as an excuse to come back!
#3 Being Comfortable On Vacation = Wear Comfortable Clothing
Remember this one fashion tip be you female or male reading: What you try on at home, won’t fit the same when you are away, after you have eaten, drank, and repeated the same activities each day.
Be comfortable in who you are in order to have an energizing vacation and pack clothing you want to wear, instead of that vacation clothing!
Pack Clothing You Want to Wear, Rather Than ‘Vacation’ Clothing
- packing clothing that makes sense for you, rather than items you think you ‘should’ wear while you’re on vacation
- wearing what you are comfortable in allows you to feel good in yourself no matter where you’re off to!
- shop only for comfortable vacation clothes, such as those found here to mimic your current style
- wear what you like and whatever looks good on you, not what is trending and odd feeling!
#4 Do Not Sabotage Your Vacation With A Flood Of Images
An energizing vacation is one in which you learn how to relax on vacation and relaxing does not include snapping and posting photos nonstop!
Don’t Take Pics For Social Media Take A Few For You
- don’t broadcast where you are that lets others know your home is vacated
- relaxation isn’t about other people, it’s about you and whoever you are with, let go of that social world for a few days
- being comfortable on vacation means that you don’t need to prove you are having fun because having fun means not needing to broadcast it!
- Social media is a hindrance and can sabotage your vacation and it rules the world we live in!
- take photos of yourself and your family for your albums
- don’t seek out those extra special shots or poses just be yourself remember you paid for this vacation, not the world!
Here’s our point:
Social media tends to rule the world we live in. Everything we do has that sense of exposure about it, and proving to the world that we’re up to something cool and exciting has become the norm.
But if you want to have a relaxing and comfortable vacation, you need to throw this expectation out of the airplane window!
Consider posting only 1/2 of what you anticipated so that you are more focused on your trip and less on social media, so that you are enjoying vacation not having everyone else enjoy it for you!
You’re here to have fun, not worry even more!
#5 Remember There Is A Lot You Could Do To Have A Relaxing Vacation
Yes, we have suggested not jam-packing your itinerary, but…. do try something new here and there as you are in a new place and one new activity is good for your mind, body, and spirit!
If you’re worried that taking a more laid-back approach to your vacation will mean you miss out, simply try a new activity.
Doing something you’ve never even thought of before can give you a whole new perspective on your vacation.
More than anything it can enrich your time away and give you amazing memories to come home with.
Enjoying Vacation Might Include One Of These Fun New-to-You Activities
- If you’ve never been out on a jet ski, and you’re going somewhere that is known for its water sports facilities, why not rent one and try it out?
- Are you headed somewhere where rock climbing and orienteering are high on the entertainment list?
- Be spontaneous, down to a spa service on the beach for couples, it’s amazing and it is how to relax on vacation!
#6 If You Can’t Speak It You Might Sabotage Your Vacation
We are bilingual in our home, Spanish, Italian, and English (Native) but that’s not enough for our comfort level and so many of our close friends.
In fact, it’s been a hindrance on a few vacations to us personally because we wanted to be able to communicate and understand but could not!
Avoid not enjoying a vacation when you instead, pick up a few key phrases before you travel at the minimum.
Tips To Learn a Bit of the Language
- If you’re headed off somewhere where a different language is spoken, it’s a good idea to pick up a few key phrases before you go
- Use the phrases you learn and add to them by listening and interacting!
- Order food in the native language
- Wish a local a good day as you pass them with a simple “HELLO” in their language and a smile
- Go see a movie in a language that is not your own
- Sing with the music of the language you want to learn it’s the best way to get pronunciation correct
When you embrace cultural differences and you’ll notice just how much more relaxing your vacation will become.
After all, you won’t be stuck with anything to say to a waiter and won’t hold up the line in a coffee shop!
That can help you get more time out of your limited schedule and can help you to feel a bit more at home while you’re away.
Don’t Sabotage Your Vacation Because You Now Know How To Relax On Vacation
Having a comfortable vacation is all up to you.
Do what you want, go where you want, and spend your time how you want.
Make sure you’re dressed in clothes that feel like you and take photos that feel good, no matter how out of focus or ‘ugly’ the pictures end up being!
A relaxing time that really energizes you should be the main goal of your vacation. ! Dana XO
Dana Vento is an accomplished travel writer who has written award-winning articles for Niagara Falls, USA, and Cabarrus, NC, and won IG photography for Southern Delaware beaches. Her best stories are on the pages of her passport. Dana offers tips for travel to help you have the best adventures!