Dying for the perfect Halloween appetizer that’s both terrifyingly delicious and simple as hell? Look no further because this edible amputated hand appetizer will surely disarm your guests!
Greetings, my ghoulish gastronomers! Be prepared to devour our severed Halloween hand!
October is that beautiful month where the line between delicious and gruesome is deliciously blurred. And this year, we’ve dug deep (maybe six feet under?) to find you the perfect centerpiece for your Halloween table – the edible amputated hand appetizer. It’s got flavor, it’s got flair, and it’s probably got some fingerprints left!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love The Edible Amputated Hand Appetizer
In our Italian home, prosciutto is always a star ingredient, and well, the severed Halloween hand steals the show with its skin-looking properties. We’ve used our recipe repeatedly every year because we always have the essentials for the severed Halloween hand in our house!
- Everyday essential ingredients to create this Halloween Gore Edible Appetizer(all of them are at ALDI)
- Fast and easy to make, it’s not rocket science here.
- Kids will love this gory snack, but adults will eat the edible amputate and appetizer.
- You can easily port the amputated hand app to any part it will be the show-stealer.
This is one of the most fun appetizers you can make, as it will get a lot of looks and tons of compliments. Plus, it’s edible, so there is no waste, which makes this gory Halloween proscuitto arm even better!
If you can butter bread and use a serrated knife, you can make the severed Halloween hand.
The Ingredients For The Edible Amputed Hand Appetizer
- Kalamata olives, halved (for those eerily realistic nails).
- One long baguette, halved (our soon-to-be forearm).
- String cheeses (because our hand needs some phalanges!).
- Packs of Prosciutto (or any thinly sliced ham), but Prosciutto really is key IMO.
- Roasted red peppers (for the blood, of course!).
- A softened moldable cheeseball, or you can make a cream cheese filling like we did (recipe card)
How To Make The Ghoul Goo For The Severed Halloween Hand Appetizer
If you love a creamy base with a bite, then our homemade cream cheese base for the wrist, top of the bread, and between the bread is easy to make and affectionately known in our house as Ghoul Goo.
Our Ghoul Goo is the difference maker in tight skin instead of sagging bagging skin, and it helps to keep the prosciutto right where it should be.
When constructing the severed Halloween hand, you won’t need much for attaching anything, but you will need just enough to taste and paste, lol!
I am very generous with my spices, but you can cool it if you prefer, just half the measurements, and once you use your food processor to combine, then add more to taste.
- Soft cream cheese (room temp)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder/flakes
- Freshly milled pepper
- Smoked paprika (this helps to color the cheese dip. It matches the prosciutto easier with no white gaps)
- Garlic salt
- Dried Chives
- Italian Spice
- Garlic Powder
- Slices of pepperoncini (talk about a flavor explosion, and these will turn smooth in a food processor, no worries)
Mix your Ghoul Goo until you achieve a creamy consistency using a food processor. This is important; smooth is what you need, no bump, please.
Pro Tip For Ghoul Goo
Make a double batch because it is delicious, and veggies are its BFF. Our friends first dig into the palm and wrist area to dig at this creamy goodness of the Ghoul Goo!
Construction Time Halloween Edible Body Part (Not for the faint-hearted!)
SLICED BREAD STICKS TOGETHER MAGICALLY WITH GHOUL GOO
Start with that forearm. Uniformly slice that baguette and use thin amounts of our devilishly delightful Ghoul Good mixture to get it to stick together and for easy slicing come party time.
HOW TO MAKE THE SEVERED HALLOWEEN HAND FINGERS
Next, let’s work on those fingers. For this, you’ve got two choices. Play it safe and grab some pre-wrapped cheese sticks, or channel your inner Frankenstein and wrap those cheese sticks with prosciutto.
Wrapping prosciutto around string cheese is easier and less expensive, but buying it already covered is faster and easier, so it’s your choice. (directions to make the severed fingers are in the recipe card below; it’s not science or complex!)
In the photo above, we dropped the white parchment to give you a clean look at the severed Halloween hand with the Kalamata fingernails and the bloody severing cuts of roasted red peppers, etc. This is so easy to make!
Keep one finger a tad shorter because, let’s face it, not all fingers were created equal, and that pinky finger needs to look realistic.
HOW TO SEVER FINGERS AND GET THE SEVERED HALLOWEEN HAND LOOK
For the next step, let’s get bloody.
Slice into a finger or two, cutting to signify a severed part, and wiggle into that cut a thin slice of roasted red pepper strip.
Why do we use roasted red peppers instead of raw? It’s purely a chef’s design decision. In our house, roasted red peppers are common, so we have them in stock constantly, but if you don’t use raw. Another reason we use roasted red peppers as bloody cuts is because they wiggle and have a sheen to them, so in our opinion, they are more on par with Halloween gross.
Plus, don’t forget when adding those pepper strips with a little bit of cheese and prosciutto: well, it’s the trifecta of Italian appetizer perfection after you get even gorier and cut that severed Halloween hand up to serve!
The screams when they see this will be music to your ears!
HAND ASSEMBLY OF THE EDIBLE AMPUTATED HAND APPETIZER
On to the hand assembly. Use that wicked Ghoul Goo (cream cheese mixture) to form a base for our “hand.” You are creating a cheese ball but keeping it on the same level as the bread, so it is heightwise the same.
Make sure it’s wider than the baguette to accommodate those gnarly fingers on the severed Halloween hand. Stick that thumb in a little lower, and then set the other four prosciutto-wrapped cheese sticks as the remaining fingers.
To sell the look, you’ll coat the top of the bread with more Ghoul Goo and then slap that prosciutto to cover it tightly, which now looks like skin.
Make the prosciutto tight, like the skin of… okay, maybe that’s too creepy. Finish it off by pressing those halved kalamata olives as the fingernails.
Finally, set the stage. A serving tray with more roasted peppers for that gory touch and extra cold cuts and bread chunks for additional munching.
The perfect Halloween gory amputated hand snack – deliciously horrifying to look at and devilishly good to eat.
So, when your guests compliment (or scream at) your culinary masterpiece, just remember to tell them: It’s finger-licking good!
Where Did I Buy My Ingredients For The Edible Amputated Hand Appetizer?
Aldis has everything you need to make this appetizer. Now, we always have roasted red peppers and Kalamata olives in the house, as well as string cheese and prosciutto, but when I am making fun recipes, precision is key and this is why I use these products.
The Applewoods Farm Proscuitto is cut evenly and separate by portions of waxed paper, making it perfect to remove and easy to prepare the severed Halloween hand without breaking the pieces of prosciutto, unlike our local Italian store that can’t figure this out!
Next, the baguettes are Under $2 and perfect for the edible amputated hand appetizer (forearm), so that’s a no-brainer. However, I might suggest using that if you can get your hands on a demi-baguette.
The Kalamata olives are in a jar, and you can refrigerate anything you don’t need, but they truly add to the look of the fingers on the severed Halloween hand, and black is perfect for the season, don’t you agree?
Alternate Ingredients For The Edible Amputated Hand Appetizeer
I’ll be honest: your options for different ingredients on the edible amputated hand appetizer are endless; it’s up to your creativity and timing, which drive the project.
- Use green olives with red pimiento in them.
- Use more Ghoul Goo instead of baguette to create an entire meat-covered dip festival on the severed Halloween hand.
- Purchase the premade prosciutto fingers
- Use premade cheeseballs and just bring them to room temperature for the severed Halloween hand.
- Carrots, raw peppers, and zucchini noodles all bring color and the gross factor to your severed edible Halloween hand
- GHOUL GOO SPREAD
- 8 Oz of Soft cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic powder (you can use 2 Tbsp. if you love garlic)
- 1 Tsp of Garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp. Onion Flake or powder (whichever you have on hand)
- 1 Tbsp. Smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. of Dried Chives
- Freshly milled pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Spice Mixture
- 10 Slices of pepperoncini rings
- FOREARM SECTION
- 1 Long baguette (1/2 for the arm and 1/2 for sides)
- 10 Pieces of Prosciutto (or more)
- AMPUTATED FINGERS
- 5 String Cheese (fingers)
- 5 Pieces of Prosciutto
- 3 Kalamata Olives ( *cut in 1/2)
- 1 Jar of Roasted Red Pepper Strips (totally optional but great for cuts and on the side of the tray)
- GATHER ALL YOUR THE INGREDIENTS
- Line a rimless baking pan with parchment paper (this will be how to carry the edible amputated arm appetizer from fridge to table or to any party.)
- FINGER PREPARATION
- Using 5 pieces of prosciutto and the 5-string cheeses, prepare your fingers.
- Wrap each cheese with a piece of prosciutto. Make sure to snuggly wrap it and extend the meat to the tip of the finger. You should have a bit of each cheese stick exposed (you want this to happen)
- **If you have a side that is not covered, no worries; that side is the portion that will be pushed into the Ghoul Goo, so you are good to go.
- CUT ONE of the fingers in half and use it as the pinky finger.
- We also suggest making cuts in at least 2 other fingers and filling those with a strip of red roasted pepper to seem like a bleeding severed limb (totally optional but fun)
- Set the prepped fingers towards the top of the parchment-lined pan.
- BAGUETTE ARM PREPARATION
- Cut your baguette in half and set one portion aside (it will be for dipping, not the forearm)
- Slice the other portion of the baguette half you are using into even slices, not too thick or thin, but enough that they will be able to enter a mouth without issue (not too fat)
- Arrange these on your baking pan towards the back of the lengthwise lined pan.
- GHOUL GOOD PREPARATION
- Using your food processor, combine the cream cheese, garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, smoked paprika, dried chives, Italian spices mix, and pepperoncini until it's a nice creamy mixture, as we call it Ghoul Goo.
- GHOUL GOO
- Use 1/4 of the mixture to spread between each piece of sliced bread, so they stay together. 'Ghoul Goo.'
- Use 1/4 of the Ghoul Goo on the top and sides of the bread (very thin) as the Ghoul Goo will help the prosciutto hold tighter for a more realistic skin look without using toothpicks.
- At this point, you should have this positioned on the tray to be the arm, the fingers should be towards the top of the lengthwise tray, and you are now going to make the hand/palm portion.
- GHOUL GOO HAND
- Use the reserved 1/2 from the wrist to the hand.
- Place the initial mound right in the center of the baguette end, then mold it wider (look at your hand. It is wider than the forearm, so set this Ghoul Goo like that.
- ADD YOUR FINGERS
- Start with your thumb and place it down on the side; look at your thumb and make sure to place it accurately (this is the most challenging part IMO)
- Next, add the other four digits across the top evenly spread of the Ghoul Goo cheesball.
- Each prosciutto finger will easily affix into the Ghoul Goo because it is at room temperature, so give it a push-in. (Now you will be happy that you had exposed cheese ends not covered with prosciutto, or you would be tightening and resetting prosciutto.)
- Place the pinky finger kind of on the side but not so much.
- ADD SKIN TO THE AMPUTATED EDIBLE HALLOWEEN HAND
- Now use full pieces of prosciutto and start at the finger joints and work to the end of the bread to cover the hand and forearms with the prosciutto, taking care to press the prosciutto into the fingers grooves so there is no flapping skin.
- Make sure to tuck and stick the prosciutto skin to the end of the exposed forearm and to cover the arm down to the sides so nothing is seen underneath.
- If you have issues at more Ghoul Goo.
- FOR THE FINGERNAILS
- Slice Kalamata olives in half to create black fingernails. This works quite well, and you can use the pops of red peppers to signify the severing on some of the fingers as we do.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 2103mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 18g
DanaVento.Com is not a dietician or nutritionist; any nutritional information shared is simply an estimate. Use a nutritional calculator if you need exact estimates of nutrition, and note that the brands you use in your recipe may differ slightly or significantly from those brands of items you use, creating a variance in nutritional content.