We are a few days away from beginning a new year, and it’s time to share our easy tips to refresh your wardrobe for the new year.
We love clothing, our closet, and keeping up with trends that suit (pun intended) our daily lives, so we want to help you refresh and update your wardrobe by making the old look new again!
One thing is true, as the new year approaches, many people are looking for ways to refresh their wardrobes and try out new fashion trends.
All you need is a little time and the willingness to be creative so that you can tap into your inner DIY fashion diva!
Now, keep reading as the minutes are ticking away to a new year, and we have some work to do to refresh your current wardrobe with simple DIY elements!
Table of Contents
Start With A Plan For Your Style
Before tearing apart your closet, you must plan for what you want to accomplish.
- Do you want to add more color to your wardrobe?
- Do you want to create a more cohesive look?
- Do you want to try out a new style?
To update your wardrobe for the new year and try out new fashion trends that fit you, you’ve got to have a clear idea of what you want to achieve.
We hope our DIY Update Your Wardrobe guide helps you get a wardrobe you love.
Take Stock Of What Wardrobe Pieces You Already Have
Before you start buying new clothes or materials, take a good look at what you already have in your closet.
You might be surprised at how many options you have for reinventing your wardrobe simply by combining items in new ways by adding a few key pieces.
When taking stock of your clothing, use these tips to help you sort through the piles and yet being minimalistic with what to keep or what you need:
- Keep clean, versatile tees in colors black, white, cream, and gray
- If you don’t have any of those tees, make sure to have a few or tanks, as they are great under a suit
- Fashion sneakers in your favorite color are an excellent keep as well, as they can be dressed up or down
- Every closet needs a little black dress
- basic black shoes and cream shoes will match almost any outfit, so make sure you have them in your closet
Accessories Can Refresh Your Wardrobe for The New Year
Adding new accessories is one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to update your wardrobe, and truth be told, it’s the way you can express yourself, giving every outfit a bit of your spice.
Here are a few ways to get creative with accessories and try out new fashion trends
- swapping out a basic belt for a scarf or a sparkly or more oversized belt
- Use a more oversized handbag if you commonly use small ones or vice versa
- Try out the new geometric rectangle handbags
- adding earrings that are bigger or smaller to an outfit
- Use a statement necklace in primary colors, or go bold and use rose gold and painted necklaces
- Or try any flat cartilage piercing jewelry to fit your style.
Accessories are a huge part of overall fashion style and are the glue that helps update your wardrobe and brings it all together!
Experiment With Dye To Update Your Wardrobe
If you have clothes that you love that don’t fit your current style and trending fashion color collections, consider dyeing them to give them a new look.
Plenty of easy-to-use dye kits are available at your local stores. Of course, if you prefer not to use dye and prefer natural dyeing methods, look for DIYS using ingredients like avocado, berries, or tea.
Alter Your Clothing To Refresh Your Wardrobe For The New Year
Clothing that does not fit right can look hideous, but your friends won’t say a word because they respect your style and love you, not the clothes you wear.
Look in the mirror and take note of clothes that don’t fit right!
Try out new fashion trends, such as taking clothing that does not fit a tailor to alter them or do so yourself.
- Hemming a pair of pants
- Add a new button to a shirt.
- Tying knots in the base of shirts that are way oversized to bring them in to fit you better.
Remember, with small bits of creativity and effort; you can transform your clothes into something fresh and new.
Upcycle Old Clothes
You don’t need to spend a lot of money to try out new fashion trends that will refresh your wardrobe for the new year, and sometimes it is just about changing what you have or shopping in inexpensive places to get what you need!
Another fun way to update your wardrobe is by upcycling old clothes or thrift store finds.
- change a large shirt into a dress and accent the waist with a vibrant belt
- cut the sleeves off of a sweater to create a sleeveless sweater
- Use old tees, trim off the long sleeves into shorter sleeves and hem the ends
- cut a longer tee right at the middle of your stomach to create a crop top
- Add patches, embroidery, or studded color to a pair of jeans
Update Your Wardrobe By Investing In Key Pieces
Always stay true to who you are and add in some of the ideas we have shared to update your wardrobe, but don’t stop there because while having fun with your DIY efforts is essential, investing in a few key pieces that will stand the test of time is also a good idea.
- Have at least one classic blazer
- Keep a pair of non-ripped, modest-fitting jeans
- always have a timeless handbag in whatever size you prefer
- keep a black dress in your closet
- Have a pair of go-to black heels available always
These items will serve as the foundation of your wardrobe and can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion.
If you like these ideas, you’ll love our article on building a capsule wardrobe, so read it!
Try Out New Fashion Trends + Update Your Wardrobe This Year.
The key elements that help you to refresh your wardrobe for the new year are to have fun and be creative.
Don’t be afraid to try new things and experiment with different styles.
You can create a unique wardrobe that reflects your style with little effort and imagination, stays on-trend without being outdated, and stays true to who you are! ~ Dana XO
Leave a Reply