Creating the best savory apple chutney in an Instant Pot will be one of your favorite condiments to make for the Fall or any time of the year, and it uses arguably one of the most adaptable small kitchen cooking appliances, making this recipe both fast and easy. You have full creative control with this simple apple chutney when it comes to decreasing or increasing the heat value as well as how to use the spicy apple relish in your kitchen recipes.
This easy tangy apple chutney recipe will balance out your spicier foods while giving your everyday basic vegetable recipes a true upgrade, but homemade apple chutney can be used beyond the basics.
In fact, for anyone that loves a versatile condiment, this may just become your go-to option. Best of all spicy chutney with apples in an Instant Pot comes together with only 10 minutes of prep!
I am certain you’ll find a minimum of 100 ways to incorporate the best savory apple chutney in an Instant Pot recipe into your daily meals from breakfast to dinner! It’s apple season, so grab a couple of pecks of apples or a bushel!
Why You’ll Love Quick and Easy Spicy Chutney With Apples Recipe
The multi-use of this apple relish (apple chutney) is limitless which makes it the condiment to make instead of all those funky, preservative-loaded condiments in the store aisles!
- Use the savory apple chutney on the side of your favorite meats such as lamb, chicken, and beef.
- Provide a tangy zest to your vegetables creating a glaze-like coating
- Use the Instant Pot Apple chutney as a condiment across your paninis and sandwiches instead of mayo and mustard
- Savory apple chutney is delicious through broccoli salads with walnuts
- For those who love Mexican foods prepared with hot flavors, or Indian foods prepared with curry, use chutney made with apples as a side condiment or atop the food to balance out all the flavors!
- The ingredients for quick apple chutney are easy to find and affordable
- You can and should make Instant Pot apple chutney ahead of time
- Apple chutney uses all those extra apples you didn’t so there is zero waste in your fruit drawer
- once you make your homemade apple chutney you can eat it right away or store it
Equipment Needed To Make Spicy Chutney with Apples (Apple Relish)
As per my norm, nothing but basic kitchen essentials will be needed for prepping and cooking apple chutney.
- vegetable peeler – to peel your apples
- knife – to chop all of the ingredients that need to be cut
- cutting board – for cutting the ingredients on
- rubber scraper – for use when cooking in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot (or any brand electric pressure cooker) – used to cook the spicy easy chutney with apples
- serving bowls or containers – to place your prepared savory apple chutney in
Disclosure. My post contains affiliate links (shortcuts to the products I know you are going to love and use) If you buy one of these items, DanaVento.Com will make a tiny commission, but it doesn’t affect your price. Consider me, your concierge to find these things faster without a lot of searching!
Ingredients For The Best Savory Apple Chutney in An Instant Pot
The ingredients are not hard to wrangle nor are they expensive to make the best spicy apple chutney recipe.
- olive oil – will be the base that you saute your onions in.
- red onion – you’ll derive an unexpectedly sweet flavor from these
- fresh ginger – for a bit of a tang and a snappy taste
- cinnamon – balances all of the added ingredients
- ground cloves – gives a little bite, and pairs with the cinnamon
- cumin seeds – adds depth to the overall flavor
- apple cider vinegar – it is your natural preservative without adding any harsh additives as well as a deglazing vehicle
- maple syrup – your sweetness is derived from this adding a bit of complexity to the taste
- garlic chili sauce (sugar-free)
- orange – the orange balances the stronger flavors and gives a little bit of a tart blending into the cinnamon and cloves
- orange zest – provides depth in flavor to the spicy apple-based chutney
- for those of you who are farm market obsessed and love the pecks of apples with some marks on them, use them in the best apple chutney recipe here that you have just found!
How To Make the Best Savory Apple Chutney In An Instant Pot
This is a quick overview of how to prepare your apple chutney with eating apples and spices.
The more in-depth version is at the end of the post for you to print out and keep!
Step 1 For The Best Apple Chutney Begins With Sauteeing
You’ll use your IP to saute the onions in olive oil and then mix in and season with the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and cumin, and the onions will soften and become translucent and fragrant in just a few minutes.
Step 2: Deglaze the IP
Use cider vinegar and deglaze the pot to loosen any browned bits.
Step 3 Add The Other Ingredients For The Easy Apple Chutney
Add the maple syrup, garlic chili sauce, apples, oranges, and orange zest.
Stir to combine and turn the unit off.
Then cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid on and choose manual.
Pro Tip for Garlic Chili Sauce Being Added Into The Best Easiest Apple Chutney
The garlic chili sauce used in this chutney apple recipe is available in most grocery stores or online.
In order to not overpower the flavors or need a fire extinguisher to put the fire out in your mouth, do not it is spicy, so baby steps, by adding in small amounts and adding more to reach the desired level of heat.
Step 4: Finish Up The Sweet and Fiery Apple Chutney
Once the cooking time has been completed, allow the pressure to release naturally for a few minutes, and then go ahead and do a quick release to finish allowing the pressure to escape.
Uncover, and bring the mixture to a light boil, in order to thicken and reduce the excess liquid.
Now that you have completed making apple chutney you can use it on your foods or with your foods of choice and store the rest in the refrigerator!
What To Pair With The Spicy Chutney With Apples?
- white fish
- glaze veggies
- sandwiches with chicken or a ham lunch meat
- smoked meats
- cauliflower roasted
How To Reheat and store + Serve the Best Savory Apple Chutney In An Instant Pot
To serve the savory chutney with apples you’ll want it at room temperature, that is when it tastes its absolute best.
You can also store the spicy apple chutney in the refrigerator for up to one week after you have made it in a sealed container.
If you have not used up the best apple chutney condiment in a week, you’ll want to freeze it in a freezer-safe container or a sealed bag without any air in it for up to 6 months.
Print the Recipe For the Best Savory Apple Chutney In An Instant Pot
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- 1 T. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. ground cloves
- ½ t. whole cumin seeds
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ c. apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 c. maple syrup
- 1 t. sugar-free garlic chili sauce
- 4 large apples, cored and peeled
- 1 large orange, peeled and chopped, with juice
- 1 T. orange zest, preferably organic
- Select the “Sauté” function and adjust to the highest setting.
- Add olive oil.
- Once hot, add the red onion, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cumin seed, and salt.
- Stir to combine and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, and the spices
are fragrant, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the cider vinegar and deglaze the pot by gently scraping the bottom with a spatula to loosen any
- Add the maple syrup, garlic chili sauce, apples, oranges, and orange zest.
- Stir to combine and turn the unit off.
- Cover and lock the lid into place.
- Flip the pressure valve to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” setting on
high for 3 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes.
- Then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Once the pin drops and no more steam escapes, carefully remove the lid and set it aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Heat, while stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens, and the excess liquid is reduced, approximately 1-2
- Turn the unit off and either use it immediately or store it in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to
one week. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Sauté time: 5-7 minutes
Active cook time: 3 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 5 minutes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 32gProtein: 1g