Fiesta Cake adorned with churro icing: a delightful transformation of a modest white boxed cake into a vibrant Mexican-themed celebration centerpiece, enhanced by the vivacious hues and buttery cinnamon essence of churro icing! What makes this Mexican confectionary masterpiece truly exquisite lies in its presentation – nestled within an unpretentious, deep glass vessel, it resembles a vividly chromatic window, enticing you to delve in with a generously-sized spoon instead of a mere knife!
Get ready to indulge in the fiesta cake that’s been expertly sliced and cubed, eagerly awaiting its debut in your taste buds! After savoring the decked-out margaritas with salt-rimmed glasses and relishing in crispy tortilla chips served with delectable, savory salsa, it’s time to satisfy your sweet tooth with this scrumptious Mexican-themed party cake!
We have the perfect party cake for Cinco de Drinko and are sharing how to make it!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love Mexican-Themed Party Cake
We have a fantastic party cake recipe perfect for Cinco de Drinko (or any other fiesta you are celebrating), and we’re excited to share it with you! Our step-by-step instructions are easy to follow, so even if you’re not a seasoned baker, you can still create a delicious and impressive cake. Let’s get started!
- It’s a straightforward cake recipe to make
- All the ingredients are easily obtainable and affordable.
- Cubed cuts of cake replace traditional slices of cake
- It can be used as a side to any other Mexican Birthday Cake to add a pop of color.
- This party cake is perfect for Cinco De Mayo parties
- The Mexican party cake is kid-friendly
- Best of all, you can scoop this cake with a spoon!
- The icing, a perfect blend of buttery and cinnamon flavors, adds decadence and balance to the cake.
- Its fiesta-like colors also serve as an ideal centerpiece on any festively-decorated party table.
There are numerous ways to put your spin on this fiesta cake with churro icing and make it your exclusive recipe. Naturally, you can also opt to use the recipe as is, and it will undoubtedly become a go-to Mexican cake recipe due to its effortless preparation!
Equipment Needed To Make Fiesta Cake
Preparing a ‘Mexican’ cake recipe for a gathering necessitates a handful of necessary kitchen tools. The method is so simple that you’ll likely whip it up often, and the frosting color can be altered to suit any occasion. The crucial element to make it look appealing is to have a particular item at your disposal, which we’ll reveal!
- 2 round cake pans or 1 rectangular 9″ x 13″ baking pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or a hand mixer
- Measuring cup
- Pastry Bags (3)
- 3 Small Mixing Bowls
- A Pedestal GLASS trifle bowl (the elevated bowl makes it stand out)
- Cocktail Firework party picks
- Colorful fiesta (party) napkins to keep the color poppin’!
- Colorful Straws (optional)
Ingredients For Your Fiesta Cake
It’s easy to get your hands on the ingredients needed for this recipe, and the best part is that they won’t put a dent in your wallet, which is a relief compared to the steep costs of throwing a party!
- White Box Cake
- Milk (or water or orange juice)
- Confectioner’s Sugar
- Red Food Coloring
- Yellow Food Coloring
- Blue Food Coloring
- Colorful Candy Sprinkles
If you do not want to use a boxed cake, you can make yours from scratch, but I do this as a timesaver because I am always short on time!
My Exciting Mistake: The Fiesta Cake I Never Intended to Bake!
Despite appearances, I assure you no Margaritas were consumed in making this cake, though the end result may suggest otherwise!
In pursuit of the perfect party cake, I embarked on a baking journey, only to be challenged with a persistently cracking cake. Unfazed, I embraced the unexpected and transformed the cakes into delightful cubes, side-stepping the crackling consequences of my overbaking.
I openly share my culinary misadventure, acknowledging my human nature and the universal truth that we all experience baking and cooking hiccups. Undeterred, I navigated through the chaos and birthed a playful, kaleidoscopic fiesta from the remains of my cake debacle.
This Mexican cake recipe’s true allure lies in its presentation – a captivating mosaic of colors cradled within a spacious glass bowl, enticing you to abandon traditional slicing methods and delve in with a hearty spoon, surrendering to its irresistible charm.
How To Make The Fiesta Cake With Churro Icing
Creating the fiesta cake with churro icing is a simple process that anyone can confidently undertake. By following these straightforward steps, you can create a mouth-watering dessert that is certain to impress your guests. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Baking The Cakes For the Fiesta
Follow the instructions on the box to prepare your box cake mix, then transfer it to your preferred baking pans. Once baked, allow the cakes to cool completely.
Step 2: How to Cut Your Fiesta Cake into Cubes for Your Mexican Party Cake
Once cooled, you will cut your Mexican cake for the fiesta into cubed pieces and set them aside.
Here are the steps to cut the cooled cake into cubes:
- Choose a sharp knife long enough to cut through the entire cake.
- Put the cooled cake on a flat surface, like a cutting board or countertop.
- Use the knife to create a straight line down the center of the cake. Then, make another straight line perpendicular to the first to create a cross shape on the cake.
- Starting from the center, cut the cake into roughly 1 to 2 inches wide strips.
- Rotate the cake 90 degrees and cut it into strips again, perpendicular to the first set of cuts.
- Finally, cut the cake horizontally into cubes, based on how big or small you need those pieces.
Pro Tip: Use a light sawing motion when cutting the cake, which will help prevent the cake from crumbling or falling apart. Also, wipe the knife between each cut to remove any cake crumbs or icing that may have stuck to it.
Step 3: Creating Churro Icing for Decorating Your Fiesta Party Cake Cubes
At the bottom of this post, you can find the ingredients and process for the churro icing recipe. The icing, which has a hint of cinnamon flavor, can be made in a matter of minutes and always turns out great.
Pro Tip: Make sure not to add too much confectioners sugar or milk at once, as you should be able to adjust the consistency as you go.
NOTE: Your icing should have a thinner consistency than typical icing for spreading, but it should still hold its shape when piped. You will easily recognize the proper consistency when you come across it, as this recipe is not difficult to follow!
Step 4: Flavoring and Coloring Churro Icing
Begin by splitting the icing evenly into 3 separate bowls, dividing it equally between them.
Afterward, incorporate the desired food coloring into each bowl and mix thoroughly.
Mix the icing thoroughly before adding more color. If the color is not vibrant enough, add more, but make sure to stir it well before doing so.
Step 5: Transfer the churro icing into pastry bags
Prepare your pastry bag or zippered plastic bag by filling them (3) with each color and I have a pro tip for you below to make this happen fast and without a mess!
Hey, PRO TIP for YOU: if you want to fill up your pastry bag like a boss, grab a glass or a tall container and stick your bag right inside. Fold the edges over the rim of the glass like a collar, and you’re ready to pour in that sweet churro-flavored icing. When it’s all in there, twist the top shut and get to piping!”
Step 6: The Presentation Of The Colorful Celebration Cake
Present a visually stunning display of vibrant hues reminiscent of a festive Mexican celebration. To do such, use a glass pedestal trifle dish, which will undoubtedly serve as the perfect vessel for showcasing an array of delectable treats that, when arranged artfully, will create a stunning kaleidoscope of colors that is sure to delight any observer who happens to gaze upon it through the windowpane.
First, add a tossed handful of colorful fiesta sprinkles to the base of the glass pedestal trifle, which begins the coloring! For reference, click here because these are amazingly festive sprinkles and my favorite for Mexican-themed parties!
Incorporate your initial batch of cake cubes to form the base layer; drop them casually without a precise arrangement.
Next, pick your desired icing color and randomly create stripes on the cubes.
Repeat the process with the remaining colors until all 3 fiesta colors have been used to stripe the first layer.
Add a quick sprinkle of colorful fiesta lights on top of it. Follow the identical steps for the second layer, such as using icing and sprinkles.
The Third Layer’s Color Burst: Adds a Festive Touch to the Mexican Cake Recipe, and here’s how to get that Fiesta color!
To create the top layer, replicate the process used for layers 1 and 2, but with the addition of a simple color burst technique, which involves piping icing down the interior sides of the glass bowl, creating a visually-appealing burst of colors resembling stained glass. Ensuring the icing’s consistency is not too runny for optimal results is essential. Finally, insert the faux sparkler picks in straws or directly into the Mexican-themed cake cubes for added flair.
For an added infusion of Mexican flair to your celebratory cake, consider incorporating a handful of vibrant napkins that complement the festive hues of your cake, along with a selection of miniature party trinkets that evoke the spirit of Mexico.
To ensure the whole sensory experience, indulging in your masterpiece immediately is recommended.
What To Serve With Your Colorful Cake For A Mexican-Themed Party
A cake, the pièce de résistance of any celebration, never fails to delight partygoers. But what if we could make our festivities even more tantalizing? Wonder no more, for we have curated a scrumptious list of party foods to serve with the cake that will enchant your guests and elevate your shindig to new culinary heights!
First and foremost, let’s delve into the sweet world of desserts for parties. Beyond cake, there is an abundance of toothsome treats to satisfy your guests’ cravings.
From the spicy Chocolate cookies to the nostalgic allure of chocolate chip cookies, an assortment of miniature desserts adds balance to your dessert table. Or add some flavorful homemade churro ice cream on the side, which will be delicious mixed with some fabulous churro-iced cake cubes!
Why not venture into fruity territories? A vibrant fruit platter boasting an array of juicy, seasonal favorites such as strawberries, pineapple, and melon can provide a refreshing counterbalance to your cake’s rich flavors. Consider offering a luscious chocolate fondue (maybe with a dash of cayenne), encouraging guests to dip their fruit morsels and indulge in a symphony of sweet, decadent delight. Of course, a peach margarita also comes to mind!
Dare to dabble in the land of savory? A cheese platter featuring an eclectic mix of textures and flavors will pique the interest of your guests, providing a welcome contrast to the sweet extravaganza. Complement your selection with various crackers and artisan pieces of bread for an elevated snacking experience.
With these captivating party foods to serve with cake, your fiesta will become an unforgettable gastronomic adventure for all!
Popular Substitutions In This Recipe
- Substitute milk with orange juice for churro frosting for those allergic to or desiring orange flavor.
- Swap out greens, reds, and yellows for softer Mexican hues.
- Prepare cake for birthdays, Cinco de Mayo, or any holiday or celebration
- Opt for chocolate cake and lively pastel frosting colors.
- Serve as single servings in parfait glasses, instead of a larger pedestal.
- Instead of churro frosting, dust with cinnamon sugar and exclude cinnamon from the frosting mixture.
Storing a Fiesta Cake: How to Do It?
If you’re lucky enough to still have some fantastic party cake left, don’t let it go to waste! It’s super important to keep it fresh and delicious. I can teach you how to store it properly so it stays as yummy after the party!
The Ideal Method to Preserve Remaining Mexican Party Cake in Cubes
Wrap the glass pedestal trifle dish with plastic wrap to cover the frosting that contains some butter before refrigerating any leftovers.
What is the Shelf Life of Fiesta Cake in the Refrigerator?
Fiesta cake can be refrigerated for seven days and still, be good to eat.
Fiesta Cake FAQs
Should I Only Use Primary Colors For the Churro Icing?
Have fun with the colors of this fiesta cake, and personalize them to match the Mexican-themed party you are hosting.
Look at the colors used for Día de Los Muertos and any other holiday and use that as inspiration!
Can I Use A Sheet Cake Instead of Round Baking Pans?
Yes, you can use any mold you want to prepare this fiesta cake, just cut it into cubes, and do note that you may have thicker pieces, depending on the pan size used.
Do I Have To Use A Glass Trifle Bowl On A Pedestal?
No, you do not have to use a glass trifle bowl, but when it is in the glass trifle bowl and on a pedestal, it becomes your Fiesta table’s center focal point. You can use a large glass bowl instead or single-serve glass parfait cups.
Other Fiesta-Like Recipes You Will Love
Remember to update me on the outcome of your Fiesta Cake!
So, there you have it! You’re now officially in the loop on how to whip up a sensational Fiesta cake with churro icing that will have your guests oohing and aahing with delight. This delectable dessert is a fabulous-tasting treat and a visual feast for the eyes, making your party an unforgettable experience.
No more run-of-the-mill cakes for you, my friend! With this scrumptious creation, dazzle your guests and bring the festive spirit to any occasion. The churro icing adds that extra pizzazz, elevating the cake to a new level of deliciousness.
Now channel your inner chef, wash your hands, gather the ingredients, and let the fiesta begin! Your cake-making prowess awaits, and we’re confident that the Fiesta cake with churro icing will become a cherished favorite among your friends and family. Happy baking, and may your parties be filled with joy and delectable treats!
Let me know how you personalized it.
Which color frosting did you go for?
Did you experiment with the flavor of the frosting, like churro?
Also, I’m curious about the preparation – did you bake it in a bigger sheet pan or use baking rounds?
Please share your experience with me in the comment section below.
The Recipe ↓
EASY Fiesta Cake
- 1 White Box Cake Prepaded in 2-Cake Rounds
- 1/2 C butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp Milk
- 2-3 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 C Confectioner’s Sugar maybe up to 3- it depends on your butter and milk mixture
- Red Food Coloring 3-4 drops to create brilliant colors Purchase WILTON for the most brilliant colors
- Yellow Food Coloring 3-4 drops to create brilliant colors
- Blue Food Coloring 3-4 drops to create brilliant colors
- Colorful Candy Sprinkles
#1 Cake Instructions
- Bake the white cake cake according to instructions on the box, using round pans.
- Allow the cakes to completely cool before beginning preparation.
- Cut each prepared cake into cubes.
#2 Churro Icing
- Prepare Icing.
- In a deep mixing bowl, combine butter, vanilla, and milk.
- Next, add the confectioner's sugar, 1/4 cup at a time until you reach 2 cups and add the cinnamon.
- You may need more, but don't add more in until you see the consistency.
- Once it is thick enough to pipe through a zippered bag or pastry bag, stop adding confectioner’s sugar and don’t add more milk.
- The icing needs to be looser than it would be for spreading, yet able to stick together when squeezed through the bag.
- Divide the icing into 1/3’s each in its own bowl.
- Add food coloring to each.
- Fill your pastry bag or zippered bag with each respective color.
#3 Decorating Cake With Churro Icing
- Next, in a large trifle pedestal randomly add sprinkles.
- Then add cubes to fill the first layer, just toss them in, without true placement, but only for one layer I used about 14 cubes on layer one)
- Now, choose a pastry bag of icing and randomly stripe the cubes.
- Change pastry bag and repeat again with a different color.
- Again, change color with a few streaks of color three.
- Now, toss more candy sprinkles.
- Repeat all of the above again for layer 2.
- At layer 3, do everything the same, for the icing.
- Then, we are going to add a Color burst that almost looks like bleeding in a very colorful way!
- This time, add the icing as above, but, also, move to the exterior of the layers on the interior of the bowl (obviously) and squeeze icing down the sides around the bowl.
- Add in some fake sparkler picks, as well as a few fun Cinco de Mayo toys, napkins, and decor and you’ve got one tasty Cinco de Mayo Cake for a Fiesta filled with color and love!
- Serve immediately or cover and keep for up to 3 days.