A Cheeseburger Salad sounds so good right now, but I am not about to prepare a cheeseburger in my kitchen. It’s time for birds, bees, and the scent of freshly cut grass to meet and greet my nose. Step out of the kitchen and fire up those grills! Grilling season has arrived!
There is nothing more spectacular than kicking back in a chair while your food is searing on the grates. Fresh veggies, cuts of meat and all the fixings create fun and the time to enjoy the outdoor ambiance and inspiration to grill while tasting food at its best.
Along with summer comes the want to keep that lean physique we all work so hard for so it’s time to take those classic foods like cheeseburgers and craft them into an innovative new dish. Lavishly live summer grilling out loud with a bun-free-inspired Cheeseburger Salad recipe, that I am willing to bet will become a staple in your summer grilling.
Summer and Grilling Inspiration
Before I ever step foot outside, and before the meal gets prepared, I list my ingredients and then head to my local grocery store. My store is my grilling headquarters, my go-to for everything on my grilling list from veggies to outdoor paper supplies and Propane.
My thoughts: A grilled meal is great because the cleanup is easy so is buying bottled beverages, packaged ice cream treats, and bags of chips that simply can be placed on the table create an easy way to serve up the food and keep the effort at a minimum.
4 Cups of Field Greens
Ketchup 2 Tbsp
Mustard 2 Tbsp
Thousand Island Dressing 4 Tbsp
1/2 Avocado Peeled and Chopped
1 Medium Tomato rinsed and sliced
Small Cucumber (1), peeled and chopped
Medium Vidalia Onion 1), peeled and sliced
A Cup of Baby Bella Mushrooms Rinsed, sliced
4 Grilled Cheeseburgers (bbq’d and cheese-topped)
American Cheese For the Cheeseburgers (4 pieces)
3 Large Potatoes
1/2 C of BBQ to Baste Potatoes
Now, use a bowl, placing the washed, unpeeled, sliced potatoes and mixing them with bbq sauce. You want just enough to lightly coat each potato, a light hand here. Moving along, place potatoes on a piece of foil to the gill. When fully cooked remove the potatoes and place on the salad.
Grill Burgers and when done add cheese. Remove from heat and cut into slices, placing on the salad. Here’s where this gets interesting: take both the ketchup and mustard and make an ‘S’ formation across the Salad equaling just about 2 Tbsp each. Repeat the method with the Thousand Island Dressing and BBQ sauce. Finally, serve.
Grillside Prep Cheeseburger Salad
Preheat your grill to 500 Degrees. Add a little BBQ to each and cook to preferred perfection (rare, medium, medium rare, well, etc. ) – Here is my set up from beginning to end. Add meat to grill, add-on barbecue sauce, once cooked to your liking add on cheese, allow it to melt, then slice and place on top of salad.
In bowl prepare potatoes, by scrubbing, leaving the skin on, sliced into pieces and then coat with barbecue and grill until done. (about 20 minutes)
Place Lettuce in a bowl, add avocado, cucumber, tomato, sauteed onions, and mushrooms.
Stripe Salad with Thousand Island, Ketchup, Mustard and a bit more Barbecue (you just can never have enough, yum!)
When hamburgers are completed, slice each one, and place atop prepared salad. Serve. The end result is a bowl filled with Yum and a new spin on an old classic. Here’s the recipe. There is not much to it and actually, it is one bowl easy to serve! Don’t forget to use disposable plates to make cleanup a snap!
- 4 Cups of Field Greens
- 2 Tbsp of Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp of Mustard
- 4 Tbsp of Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/2 Avocado Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato rinsed and sliced
- 1 Small Cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 Medium Vidalia Onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 Cup of Baby Bella Mushrooms Rinsed, sliced
- 4 Grilled Cheeseburgers (bbq'd and cheese-topped)
- 4 Pieces of American Cheese For the Cheeseburgers
- 3 Large Potatoes
- 1/2 C of BBQ to Baste Potatoes
- In a large bowl, please lettuce, top it with cucumber, tomato & avocado.
- In a Pan or On Grill Prepare onion and mushrooms, until sauteed. Once cooked place atop greens
- In A bowl, take washed, unpeeled, sliced potatoes and mix with bbq sauce enough to lightly coat
- Grill Potato pieces until cooked on a piece of foil and remove. Place On Salad.
- Grill Burgers and when done add cheese. Remove From Heat cut into sliced and place on top of prepared salad.
- With Ketchup, make an 'S' formation across the Salad equaling just about 2 Tbsp
- With Mustard, make an 'S' formation across the Salad equaling about 2 Tbsp
- With Thousand Island Dressing make an 'S' formation 2 x equaling 4 Tbsp
- With BBQ Sauce add one 's' formation across the salad
You can add any dressing, I added Thousand Island because it is part of the secret sauce often served on hamburgers. This is a fun meal to serve up outside and it lets you not worry about adding in the buns! Summer is fun and grilling makes food delicious. Are you ready to lavishly live food out loud and hit the decks, (lol)! What would you add to the Cheeseburger Salad to make it special for your family?