It’s sweltering outside.
Maybe it’s snowing?
Either way, you are craving ice cream and cake!
In about 5 minutes you can create a decadent easy ice cream cake with simple ingredients.
You don’t need to be a pastry chef to make this recipe.
All you need is a stop at your local grocery store and 5 minutes.
In any event, you can make this decadent easy ice cream cake as big or small as you want.
For that reason, it is really important that you make a little room in your freezer.
After all, easy ice cream cake is better than anything else you have hiding in your freezer (unless it’s some frozen vodka, lol!)
Easy Ice Cream Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, read the disclosure for more information.
What do you get when you take ice cream sandwiches and turn it into a dessert?
An easy ice cream cake!
Decadent Easy Ice Cream Cake with Simple Ingredients
- 9-12 Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Magic Shell Chocolate Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Chips
- Whipped topping defrosted and whipped
- Defrost whipped topping and keep refrigerated until after you are ready to prepare the dessert.
- Unwrap 9 ice cream sandwiches
- Using a tray of your choice (remember it has to be covered) stack 3 ice cream sandwiches vertically.
- Next, smear whipped topping across the top of the ice cream sandwiches.
- Then, squeeze the caramel sauce across this layer.
- Now follow that with the Magic Shell Chocolate Sauce.
- Add a few chocolate chips (optional).
- For the 2nd layer, place the ice cream sandwiches, horizontally.
- Then repeat the whipped topping and al the sauces.
- Now begin the 3rd layer, with the last 3 sandwiches ( unless you are choosing to 4 layers in which case you will have to do one more layer and a total of 12 sandwiches).
- Use your whipped topping to spread across the top of the layer, then, ice the sides.
- Drizzle with caramel and chocolate sauce.
- Freeze before serving at least one hour.
- Serve frozen and store any leftovers in the freezer.
Ingredients for The Super Easy Ice Cream Cake
All in all, you can trade out any ingredient for the one you prefer.
Remember, I post recipes that are versatile in nature.
We all have our own tastes.
If you are reading my recipes, know that I respect that and hope that you change it up to suit your tastes!
To that end, if you do, leave me a comment and tell me what your twist so I can add that to my post with credit to you!
Toppings and Icing
I used whipped topping for this recipe.
However, you gotta make sure that it is defrosted properly (in the fridge and whip it a bit with a fork before you use it).
Again, you can use all the different flavors of whipped topping, just make sure the flavored toppings jive with the flavors of the ice cream.
Caramel sauce in my opinion is a must on any and every one of these super easy ice cream cakes.
Naturally, I chose the easy way and bought the pre-made in the ice cream aisle.
I could have made it, but, I just like to keep this easy ice cream cake, simple and fast!
Also, I used Magic Shell Chocolate, because it freezes hard without freezing and is even better frozen.
Last, I snuck in some Simply Chocolate chocolate chips, between the layers, totally optional but a nice crunch results.
Did I mention you could make this all sugar-free too by using the sugar-free sauce and sugar-free ice cream sandwiches?
Containing the Super Easy Ice Cream Cake
I recycle a lot of my containers, whether for gardening or shipping leftovers and in those cases, for making my ice cream cake.
Since this ice cream cake was for a party of 5, the plastic, lidded container that held mini croissants from Walmart worked perfectly.
Remember, you will make the cake about an hour before (at least) or a day ahead and let it in the freezer to set up again!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Here’s where you get to go crazy, choose the flavors of ice cream sandwiches you love.
For me, it was all about the unicorn ice cream sandwiches and the cookie ice cream sandwiches.
In any event, it is critical to constructing a cake that does not slide to lay one layer horizontal and the next layer vertically.
Keep your whipped topping in the refrigerator until it’s time to prep this.
Stacking The Ice Cream Cake
Use any ice cream flavors you can find, and then you will place a layer of ice cream sandwiches down.
Then top the sandwiches with cool whip.
If you are dropping on some chips, do it now.
Now it’s time for the next layer of ice cream sandwiches vertically stacked.
And repeat the whipped topping, sauces and chips (chocolate) if you have opted to use them.
Do this one more time, and then once you spread the whipped topping across the top of this layer, follow it through on the sides of all the cake.
Return this to the freezer and serve it frozen.
Allow this to freeze back up for at least ONE hour before serving or up to a day ahead!
Keep any leftovers frozen and covered.
Enjoy! ~ DANA XO
I can’t wait to see what you do with your version of my recipe.