For anyone that loves a spicy and easy shrimp appetizer, bookmark this recipe.
My air-fried spicy firecracker shrimp is an explosion of flavor and bode well with a simple-to-prepare dipping sauce!
Why You Will Love Air-Fried Spicy Firecracker Shrimp
For those not familiar with Firecracker shrimp, I’ll share what they are now.
My air-fried spicy firecracker shrimp version is a take on traditional breaded firecracker shrimp.
What you won’t find is a breaded shrimp, rather a wonton wrapper encasing a spiced-up cooked, tail-on shrimp!
The twist in my tail-on shrimp wrapped in a wonton is the use of the fabulous air fryer.
Air-Fried Firecracker Shrimp + Air Fryer ♥ Love
Ihttps://www.facebook.com/danadvee gotta say there’s nothing like an air fryer for food creation.
Truly, an air fryer is a game-changer for most recipes you use that used to contain oil in the recipe.
In this recipe for firecracker shrimp, you will be air frying and not deep frying the spicy wonton encased shrimp.
Air fryers take that heavy oil content out of frying and you can create healthier versions of recipes.
In the air-fried firecracker shrimp, you will be using a very, very, small amount of oil and it’s not frying oil.
Since these are air-fried spicy firecracker shrimp, they are easy to make, with no spattering and in 1/2 the time of traditional frying!
While you have to learn the air fryer to really understand its capabilities, I have cooked everything you can imagine in it from baked goods to breakfasts.
What to expect inside your tail-on shrimp wrapped in a wonton
I love shrimp and giving it a little ‘fiery’ snap is perfect.
However, the ‘fire’ is as mild or popping as you want it.
You will control the heat on your air-fried firecracker shrimp.
Don’t you love a recipe that is flexible, and able to be tweaked to your tastes rather than someone else’s? Me too!
I’ll share a few spices you can use but there are so many darn options so change it up to your taste preferences and crunch away!
Just because you are air frying and not deep frying the spicy wonton shrimp, don’t expect to lack a crunch.
When you get the crispy wonton against the soft shrimp texture, and then are greeted by a little heat, you then understand how perfect an air fryer is!air-fried spicy firecracker shrimp
Make sure to bookmark my recipe and print it, when you are done reading.
You can use this for the Fourth of July, any parties during the year, and New Year’s Eve too.
Trust me, when you plate these up, they look amazing and add to the party!
Here’s my air fryer firecracker shrimp in wonton wrappers recipe!
Air Fryer Firecracker Shrimp In Wonton Wrappers
Here’s how I came up with this recipe.
Generally, I dip my shrimp into hot sauce or sprinkle them with a little red pepper.
Sometimes I roll them into flour tortillas.
I was not excited about the tortilla against the shrimp, it was all too many soft textures.
What I did next was the best thing I ever could have done!
I took out wonton wrappers which definitely are a better fit to scale fit for shrimp and I dunked my shrimp into the red pepper spice.
Then, I wrapped them snug as a bug into the wonton and tossed it into the air fryer to crisp the wonton wrapper up.
Oh, My G#$@. It was sinful.
There was a crunch and a soft texture.
Heat, and then nothing.
Something was still missing.
I needed a sauce.
After trying cocktail sauce, hot mustard, and a pineapple glaze, I still had not found foodgasm worthy mentions.
So, my next step was crazy easy and the WINNER. Wait till you see what I did.
Plating matters on this dish.
My suggestions, fun colored plates, some toothpicks with frill, etc.
Make it colorful because what happens in your mouth and on your tasteless will match that intensity!
Let’s get this air fryer show started, shall we?
Remember, I just made a small batch, but when I am cooking for a party, I triple this up.
For every shrimp, you need a wonton.
Plain and simple.
Firecracker Shrimp In Wonton Wrappers Recipe
Air-fried spicy firecracker shrimp inside of wontons!
- 6 Wonton Wrappers
- ¼ Water for sealing wonton
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 6 Fully Cooked & Peeled Shrimp thawed
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper You can use mor or less as you like
- 1 tsp of black pepper more or less as you prefer.
- FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
- Equal parts mayo & your favorite BBQ or Chipotle Sauce
- Chili sauce also goes well with this for a fiery kick!
- Make sure shrimp are thawed and drained.
- Remember these are already fully cooked, so this is super easy to make!
- I set these up on the board once they are made so they can go into the fryer.
- I don’t jam the fryer basket either.
- Leave room between each one, so I do these in batches.
- Continue reading for the rest of the how-to.
- In a flat bowl add red pepper, garlic, and olive oil and mix.
- Do consider red pepper has zing!
- You probably saw this in the video, did you watch it?
- It shows you how this is done.
- On a cutting board, prepare shrimp, by slicing down back (but leaving together) this simply makes the shrimp straighten when packing in a wonton.
- Place a wonton wrapper on a flat surface and keep the shrimp to far-right, leaving the tail stick out of the wrapper and leaving space above the shrimp.
- Wet all four corners of wonton or the entire wrapper (truly preference).
- I have my own method and am comfortable, once you work through this once, you will have yours. Use it.
- Fold over one time, then fold the top over shrimp (creating a pocket), and then continue to roll shrimp to the end of the wrapper and seal seam with water.
- Place in Air Fryer
- Program Fryer for 400° for 3 minutes – frying until skins are golden brown.
- While they are cooking, create the dipping sauce by combining equal parts of each.
- At first, make a smaller batch and you can always increase the volume.
- Remove and serve.
- See how nice they look?
- Scatter a bed of broccoli slaw for color and create my sauce above!
Print the recipe so you have it, and bookmark this page.
My bet is that this will be a ‘most requested’ appetizer whenever you have a party or go to a party.
What I love is that you can figure on about 3 to a person, so you have a great way to figure out how many to make based on the size of a party.
Enjoy Big Game Day, Holidays, 4th of July, New Year’s Eve, family gatherings, celebrations, parties, and any get-together when you serve these up!
Serve some beer or Ginger Beer to kick the heat off and you have the perfect combination! Cheers~ DANA XO
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @dana.vento with your food or Pinterest @danavento1 I can’t wait to see!