We’ve all been there when you think you have bread in the house but don’t!
Well, today I will show you how to quickly make 1-hour air fryer crusty herb bread to solve that!
The Air Fryer Crusty Herb Bread you will LOVE
Do you have an air fryer, yeast, and flour?
Then you are in luck because I have a recipe for a crazy good, no-knead, air fryer crusty herb bread in an hour!
Honestly, you are going to wonder why you never made air fryer crusty herb bread before.
As a bonus, no matter what SHAPE your air fryer basket is, round, square, etc. this bread will work!
You can jump here to the parts you want to read about or give it a read all the way through and there’s a lot of good stuff inside the post!
Air Fryer Crusty Herb Bread has a great texture.
In fact, the crust is nice and crisp and the inside is so darn chewy and delicious!
As with all of my recipes for bread, this recipe uses simple ingredients but definitely delivers a bold taste!
Additionally, as you all know, you can tweak this recipe to fit your favorite flavors.
So, now let’s go make some crazy good no-knead air fryer crusty herb bread in an hour so you can start taste-testing it in your home!Jump to Recipe
Air Fryer Crusty Herb Bread An Alternative to Oven-Baked
You’ll find that air-frying is a great alternative to oven-baked bread.
Not only is it faster, and far more efficient, the air fryer won’t heat up your home in the summer months and create the air to continuously run, again!
I’ve shared recipes for many different bread items in an air fryer.
For those of you that have an air fryer you know how versatile it is so it should not surprise you that you can bake an entire loaf of homemade bread in here too!
If you are a regular reader, have you tried any of the following bread-type recipes all using the air fryer as an alternative to oven-baked bread goodies? ↓↓↓↓
- My Pocket Calzones,
- or the Twisted Pepperoni Bread
- and the ‘you’ll need a mint after eating these’ Garlic Dusted Dough knots,
- or the Buffalo Garlic knots that are ‘Fyah’?
Just like those recipes, these are made in the air fryer, simple to prep, and taste fabulous!
The Herbed Crusty Air-Fried Bread + A Brief Rise
The dough you prepare for the herbed crusty air-fried bread will need to rise just briefly.
No worries, it’s fast, and in no time, you will be baking bread, or should I say, air-frying a loaf of bread!
Plus, in the recipe, I share a golden tip to make the rise go faster and it works like a charm every time!
Less time in between the process of making and air frying, so less time waiting to munch on this yummy bread!
Once you get the dough to rise, it’s just a quick bit in the air fryer and you are off to the races with a fresh loaf of air fryer crusty herb bread!
Need more bread? Try This Really Simple Cinnamon Bread!
Tips For Air Frying Bread the Alternative to Oven-Baked
Anytime I cook in my air fryer (which is daily) I do this one thing that makes a difference in everything I cook in there.
First and foremost, I preheat the air fryer.
You might find articles out there that tell you not to do this, but I will tell you, that you can hear the difference in some of the air fryers when they run such as when they just start to when they are ready to cook at the appropriate temperature.
In any event, not only do I treat the air fryer like an oven, but the air fryer bakes like an oven, just in less time and much more efficiently!
As usual, I will suggest that you place either a piece of parchment in the air fryer basket or that you cut discs out of this, that’s what I do!
Don’t forget it’s very important to NOT forget to grease the sides of the air fryer basket too!
You can achieve this in 2 different ways:
- either use a brush and coat the bread sides with olive oil (yum) in this situation it would take off the seasoning we are putting on top
- or you can use a pastry brush to just quickly and lightly brush the sides.
Herbed crusty air-fried bread doesn’t take long
So, I will provide the timing. however, you may need to be altered to fit your air fryer.
Also note you will be using Instant Yeast to get this bread to move along quickly!
Remember that not all air fryers are the same, so I am making sure that you know that you might need a little more time or a little less, depending on yours!
Additionally, I added 2 minutes more to my bread, and often flux between the listed time on the recipe and the additional 2 minutes!
Overall, in about 20 minutes, you will be done creating herbed crusty air-fried bread!
To that end, don’t forget to flip the bread during the cooking session as well!
Herbs & Seasoning options
Remember, when it comes to spices, herbs, and seasoning it’s all personal preference.
Bread is great alone, but adding in a little ‘taste’ is even better!
For me, it was a herb mixture and I’ll show you how to really get it in the bread mixture.
You can change this mixture to fit your tastes, so if you like rosemary, use it, or if you want a loaf of cracked pepper parmesan, then go for it.
My Favorite Meal Combinations with this herbed crusty air-fried bread
This bread celebrates a crunchy, crust and when I have a crusted bread such as this one, I love eating my superfoods recipe that is a combination of greens.
Altnernatively, I eat my rapini and lentils mixtures, it’s just got a great texture against the soft textures and it’s kind of reminscinet of those famed peasant meals.
Which means, super simple foods, combined and a nice hunk of bread!
You could create soup bowls with air fryer crusty herb bread
So let me throw a total wrench into your air fryer crusty herb bread making moment with a fabulous option.
Instead of making 1 large loaf of herbed crusty air-fried bread, portion this into 3-4 balls when you are forming it to rise and make bread soup bowls.
Initially it will be mini loaves of bread, but because it is such a dense bread, it will hold up well with soup.
I’d say 3 would be an appropriate thought for dividing the dough, anymore and you might have bowls that are far too small to portion out soup.
Do You need some soup recipes to accompany your alternative to oven-baked crusty herb bread?
Try out any of these recipes, some use my other favorite small kitchen appliance, the Instant Pot, others just use the stove.
Any of the recipes can be converted to stovetop of Isntant Pot, that’s easy!
- Green Beans and Turkey Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Flavor-bomed Spicy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Tortellini Escarole
- Rustic Tomato Soup
- Bean Minestrone soup
No matter what spice you use on your bread, or what shape you make your air fryer crusty herb bread, one thing will be true, the bread will taste amazing and will be the freshest you’ve ever had.
~ Dana XO
Recipe For Air Fryer Crusty Herb Bread
- 2 1/2 C All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 C Water 130°F
- 2 1/4 Teaspoon Instant Yeast a packet of instant yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- A Tablespoon 1 of Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil + 1 More Tablespoon in reserve.
- Garlic Salt to taste
- Italian Pizza Seasoning basically, oregano, basil, red hot pepper 1:1:1 equal ratio*
- Grease a 5 qt dutch oven, and set it aside.
- Mix water and Yeast together and allow it to stand for a minute.
- While the yeast is sitting for a minute, prep the flour by placing it in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add in the yeast and water.
- Then the sugar.
- Continue mixing to combine well.
- Once that is all mixed together add in a tablespoon of Olive Oil.
- Then add in the salt.
- Combine again until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn the dough under itself about 3 times and form a nice ball that will fit in the dutch oven.
- Place in greased dutch oven, with the oven light on and 1 cup of boiled water, then cover, close the door and let is rest in there for 1/2 hr.
- Place your nonstick disk on the counter (it should be measured and cut to fit inside your air fryer basket, as the bread will be sitting on this.
- At the end of the 1/2 hour, open the lid, remove the bread and place it onto the you previously prepared.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F and cycle it just for 5 minutes.
- While the air fryer is heating it is time to season the bread.
- First, brush it with some olive oil.
- Follow that with a coating of garlic salt and Italian Spice (as much or as little as you prefer).
- Then, roll the dough unto itself, tucking the seasoning in.
- Now the top of the dough is showing and repeat.
- Olive oil with a brush, then a bit of spice.
- At this time the air fryer should be preheated and you can place the disc and the bread in.
- Brush the sides of the air fryer basket with olive oil in case the bread dough wants to stick to it, it won’t!
- Program the air fryer to 350°F for 9 Minutes.
- When the cycle stops, make sure the top of the bread is golden brown.
- Flip the bread to the other side.
- Reset the timer and settings to 350°F for 9 more minutes.
- You may need to add 2 more minutes but DON’T do this until you see how your bread looks at the end of its cycle.
- If the loaf is golden brown all over and has ‘puffed’ it is done.
- Carefully remove and allow it to rest on a wooden cutting board (it will absorb the moisture) or on a cooling rack.
- Cut open and enjoy! ~ Dana XO