Want to know how to create the ultimate movie night at home? This article on ideas for cool movie night is going to offer insight into what you need for a movie night at home, where to grab the items, and even where to find the movie night movie ideas so you can have a fun time hanging with everyone whether you watch movies indoors or take movie night outdoors!
Why You Will Love These Movie Night Ideas For Indoors Or Outdoors
No matter the season, or the weather, one thing most of us have in common is the love of movies and there are more movies to watch than there is time to watch them right?
There comes a time when we all just want to sit back and take a breather, and sometimes when all the stars align, you might strike gold and obviously, you are seeking that time and how to set up an outdoor movie night at home or an indoor movie night at home and it’s easy to DIY!
From outdoor movie night ideas to indoor movie nights, you are sure to have a lot of fun together, and here are a few more reasons why you will simply love enjoying movies at home.
- It’s a fun way to spend time together with friends
- Ideas for movie night are easy to DIY
- Family movie nights can be made distraction-free
- Your cool movie night can be themed
- Movie nights at home are a great way to watch flix you have not seen together
- Ideas for movie nights (your easy DIY) are not expensive and can be used more than one time
- Your outdoor movie nights are portable
Things You’ll Need To Make Movie Night Ideas At Home Happen
As with any DIY, there are items you will need to create this fun at-home family movie night but don’t let those words discourage you because you can make increase or decrease the suggestions in both cost and effort as you prefer!
When I began considering options for movie night ideas at home I took into consideration all of the following:
- audience (friends and family on any given night)
- whether we would be able to use the same items and movie night ideas indoors as well as outdoors
- our budget to plan out ideas for movie night
- and how to have the best movie night with the least amount of effort (you don’t want to be so tired after constructing the fun movie nights at your home that you can’t enjoy them right?)
So what equipment do I need to make movie night ideas at home happen?
- a screen – I’ll share a few different screens I’ve both made and purchased
- Something to share movies through (projector)
- a movie source
#1 – DIY Ideas For A Big Screen Outdoors Or Indoors For Creating Movie Nights At Home
This is one of the most important components of your perfect night at home watching movies with your family or friends.
What will you watch the movies on?
We’ve tried a lot of things, and I can tell you that a few worked and several did not!
You can DIY a big screen for your backyard or in your home with any of the following;
- a large sheet doubled and folded, with a set of 2 simple hooks (heavier weight) on the wall (if you are doing this indoors you will want to PAINT the hooks to match the wall color so they are not noticeable when the DIY at-home movie night screen is not hanging) with a long thick dowel rod to fit in the hooks, and place the sheet over the dowel rod, double folded and the dowel rod onto each hook.
- a plain white wall – but this really can be difficult if the wall is not smooth and totally a free wall (no artwork and don’t forget to take into account that you need to be able to move far enough away to get a large movie on the wall and seating.
- plastic shower curtains that can be attached and doubled up to a wall with a simple sticky adhesive that does not harm walls.
These are easy to hang and cheap to make.
Now if you want to see the big screen I made, <<<<<make sure to check out this post, it is one of a few I have.
#2 How Will You SHARE Your Movies (Projectors, Phones)
Once you’ve decided to set up a big screen, you are going to need to project those movies onto it.
We initially purchased a fabulous projector that has a big sound, but not as good as the one above.
Then we recently bought another (above) that hooks up to our Bluetooth speakers for outside (as sometimes there’s a lot of unwanted background noise!)
My big screen project describes the projector we purchased and that I love.
You’ll want to find a movie projector that is best for your family but you gotta have one in order to share movies on a screen.
#3 Ideas for Outdoor Seating for Fun Family Movie Nights
You can have fun family movie nights indoors or outdoors which means anytime you want.
The weather may play a small factor in helping you make a decision about where to have yours, but they are options!
When we head outdoors for fun family movie nights, we use oversized folding chairs with cupholders.
These are easy to set up and easy to collapse, plus they store in their own bag.
We’ve even gone as far as to buy each person their own color, to keep the battles of who’s is who’s to a minimum.
As a bonus, we have one of these for the ‘young teen’ especially perfect for when he makes a date night in the backyard.! It is perfection!
When it is family night, the 2 younger kids pull this one out and then we only haul out 3 chairs and that!
Indoor Comforts For The Ultimate Family Movie Night
Now our indoor nights are very different from the outdoor fun family movie nights.
Inside, it’s all about blankets, pillows, and surround sound which is easy in a room with 3 walls!
We make sure there are plenty of blankets for each person and big chunky pillows, and each person has their own recliner option on the couches.
Of course, even without a reclining couch the pillow and blankets are plenty!
Hot Tip: Movie Night At Home And Warmth
As a special touch, before the movies, I generally toss the blankets for the kids into the dryer to warm them up and I add an anti-static dryer sheet in to give them a boost of freshness.
Yes, it might sound ridiculous but these are the things the kids will remember and you can’t call it an ultimate family movie night if there is nothing ultimate going on right?
#5 Movie Ideas For Movie Night: Where To Get Them
Honestly, with so many possible movie choices, which will you pick? YOU won’t pick the movie, you ALL will pick the movie.
So, to do this successfully, and make truly fun family movie nights, everyone gets a say or a choice, right?
First, we create a group text and each person suggests 3 movies and then we all peruse the list and eliminate those we have seen already. However, we have one master list of movies, for the Holidays, but we break all the rules of watching and rewatching holiday favorites!
In the case, that we can not actually vote on ONE movie, and we all are very separated, we roll a dice and that’s the end of it!
Where Do We Source Our Movie Night Movies From?
You can use any media streaming device to make outdoor or indoor movie night on the big screen happen!
- Android phones have built-in projectors and you just need to use a cable to then stream movies from it
In my home, we have streaming access from our Cable provider, which we tap into often.
Additionally, we have ROKU, plus Netflix, and all of the free stations that come with it, and one of the kids have their own Disney account.
Mirror projecting does not always work.
#5 How do you make family movie nights distraction-free?
In our home, we’ve created a rule, to make family movie nights distraction-free.
For some of you, this might seem like a huge ask, but it actually works easily and has zero back-sas!
We all commit, parents to kids to a no-phone in the movie room policy!
No phones, no distractions, just family time!
Now, I do believe that the warm blankets or the outdoor pit fire, foods, and commitment to family all play into this, but we have no issues.
BONUS! Movie Food Makes The Night Complete
I have no idea what makes a movie and treats the perfect combination, but the food is definitely a large part of the ultimate family movie night!
Here are a few fun things we grab when we know we will be having fun family movie nights.
- large boxes of chocolates or gummies, (we find these at Target and Walmart, Walgreens, etc. for $1)
- Popcorn + different popcorn toppings such as cheddar cheese powder, parmesan, garlic, chili lime seasoning, etc.
- cupcakes for the single servings sweet tooth!
- sometimes nacho platters
- ice cream bar ↓↓↓
When we do outdoor movie nights, you can see we use different food options and we also do have ice cream as well!
I prefer to keep it a bit more easy-going outside, so we use popcorn, veggies trays, a big cooler stocked with drinks, and of course chips and candy!
Your Ultimate Movie Night Awaits…
Now it is your turn.
Get everything together before you call your movie night.
Then, decide if it is going to be inside or out!
Next, it’s time to let everyone in on the movie night festivities.
Enjoy yourself, and your family!
Life moves fast, enjoy the small things and you’ll be rewarded with family time and smiles! ~ Dana XO
Do you have great at-home movie night ideas? I’d love to hear them, share them here >> Contact me
Leave a Reply