Get ready for a fabulously easy shark themed grilled cheese sandwich to take a bite out of your hunger, using a simple grilled cheese recipe made with extra big bread, and a quicker, more efficient way to cook grilled cheese, along with a simple blend of cheeses that combine to make a cooked cheese sandwich that is perfect for any shark themed party, shark birthday party, or even shark week!
This is our go-to grilled cheese recipe, that can be dressed up if you want to make more gourmet grilled cheese versions or kept basic and you are guaranteed a good crunch with the grilled cheaters that I am about to share the recipe for!
Hardly are these fancy grilled cheese sandwiches, but they are great for underwater-themed parties, shark parties, and any kind of water party where you might want a shark to be!
Why You’ll Love The Shark Themed Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- Easy to make (novice-level cooking skills required)
- kid-friendly option (isn’t grilled cheese one of those universal foods kids love unless they have food allergies )
- adults-sized portions
- you can and should prepare as many of the killer shark themed toasted cheese sandwiches ahead of time
- can be made in bulk
- perfect for under the sea themed parties
- great for Shark Week watch parties
- Perfect handhelds with cocktails.
Equipment Needed to Make Shark Themed Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
These are going to be bread sliced with cutout sharks in the middle.
In a different recipe, I’ll show you what to use those shark-shaped cutouts for because you won’t have to throw anything out!
- Shark Cookie Cutter (Wilton) (I found them on this website)
- Butter knife
- Toaster – you could use a toaster oven if you prefer or of course air fry the sandwiches but you’ll need to make sure the sandwiches are stacked heavy and don’t fly around the air fryer
- Foil (to cover your pan you’ll be cooking the shark themed cheese toasties on )
- Cutting Board (to cut the cheese and the bread)
- Cheese Grater
Ingredients For Your Shark Themed Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Aldi Italian Bread (long oval loaf)
- block of your favorite cheese (muenster, mozzarella, etc)
- Butter or Olive Oil (optional)
How To Make A Shark Themed Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The method I use is what I call ‘Grilled Cheaters’ because it’s the fastest and shortest path to getting to munch on the fabulous sandwiches.
However the photo below was cooked almost in a traditional manner, and I’ll list how in the notes section of the recipe card.
Step 1: Prep Your Oven and Toaster For Melting Shark Themed Cheese Toasties
Preheat your broiler and haul out your toaster (unless you are using a toaster oven then just preheat the toaster oven to low!)
Step 2: Shred That Cheese For Your Shark Themed Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
Whatever cheese you choose to use on your simple grilled cheese sandwiches you will want to shred it now, or of course, you could wait until you get a few steps further down!
If you grate your cheese simply set it aside because you will use it shortly!
Step 3: Shark Shaped Cut-Out Time
First, use your shark cutter to cut 2 sharks out of 2 pieces of bread
Then set the cutout sharks aside and cover them so they stay fresh, and don’t worry I have another fun Shark Week recipe to share with you or a shark party-themed recipe so stay tuned, we won’t waste those cutout sharks!
Use your toaster to toast all 4 pieces of bread, 2 with the cut-out shark holes and the other 2 whole pieces.
Step 4: Prep Your Broiling Tray + Toast For Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
Once you have each as toasted as you prefer build the grilled cheese sandwich.
Your broiler is already preheated so line your train with a piece of foil and then place the full slices of bread without cutouts in them on the foil.
Butter one side of each piece and then return that side face down on the foil.
Next, using the cheese you grated, add it atop those 2 solid pieces of toasted bread.
Now, butter the top of the shark cutout pieces and place them on the tray separate from the pieces with cheese and hold them until you have open-face broiled the cheese-topped pieces.
Once the cheese is melted you can top the bread with the shark cutout pieces and pop it back in the broiler for a brief 30-60 seconds enough to brown up the butter but not long enough to burn the cheese or bread.
Once broiled remove the shark grilled cheese sandwiches for shark week and you should have perfectly melted and crunchy shark themed grilled cheese sandwiches for shark parties and shark week.
What To Pair With Your Shark Shaped Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
It is more like, what does a grilled cheese sandwich not pair well with right?
- offers lettuce to fill the toasted cheese sandwich
- guacamole slices are perfection inside the sandwich
- red onion gives even more of a crunch
- potato chips are perfection alongside the shark-toasted cheese sandwich
What else can I use to create shark themed cheese toasties?
- use different colors of cheese
- olive oil instead of butter
- grill the sandwiches
- use a pan to prepare the sandwiches
How To Reheat and Store Shark Theme Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Best Way To Store Shark Shaped Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
Use an airtight container to store the leftover grilled cheese sandwiches for your shark themed party
How Long Will Shark Themed Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Last In The Fridge?
Pretty much about 2 days any longer and the bread gets funky.
Can I Freeze Shark Shaped Toasted Cheese Sandwiches?
I would not they never taste the same when you reheat them.
How TO Reheat Shark Shaped Toasted Cheese Sandwiches?
Open the 2 pieces of break, and quickly toss it in the microwave for about 25 seconds.
Shark Shaped Toasted Cheese Sandwiches FAQ’s
Can I Use A Pan To Make Shark Themed Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
Yes, just make sure to use a refined coconut oil (for it’s high smoke point) to coat the pan before you place the sandwich in.
Could I Use Sourdough Bread Instead of Long Italian Bread?
Yes! You can use any bread you want to make the shark themed cheese toasties!
Is There Any Protein Content In Shark Shaped Toasted Cheese Sandwiches?
Yes. But this depends on the cheese you choose, how much you use and did you know you can use a bread that has protein as well such as Aldi Lovin’ Fresh Protein bread with a whopping 10g of Protein per slice to amp the protein content of the sandwich.
Is American Cheese A Good Cheese To Use In the Grilled Cheese Shark Sandwiches?
Yes, American cheese is always a good choice and it melts so nicely!
Other Party Recipes You’ll Love
Don’t Forget To Come Back and Tell Me How Your
- 4 Sliced of Aldi Italian Bread (long oval loaf)
- 1 8 oz blockof your favorite cheese (muenster, mozzarella, etc)
- 1 Tbsp Butter or Olive Oil (optional)
- First, use your shark cutter to cut 2 sharks out of 2 pieces of bread
- Set the cutout sharks aside and cover so they stay fresh
- Use your toaster to toast all 4 pieces of bread, 2 with the cut-out shark holes and 2 whole pieces
- Once you have each as toasted as you prefer we will build the grilled cheese sandwich
- preheat your broiler to LOW and line a tray with foil
- place your bread slices without the shark cutout on the foil and butter one side and then return that side face down on the foil.
- Next, using your cheese grater, add grated cheese atop the solid piece of toasted bread.
- Repeat this process for the other full piece of Italian bread.
- Next, butter the top of the shark cutout pieces and place them on the tray separate from the pieces with cheese*optionally you can place these pieces atop at the last minute of melting and broiling the cheese
- Broil quickly to get the cheese to melt but not burn.
- If you have not placed the cutout bread atop do it now and place the tray back in the broiler for a brief 30-60 seconds and then remove and you should have perfectly melted and crunchy shark themed grilled cheese sandwiches for shark parties and shark week.
In case you prefer to cook your grilled cheese in a pan, use refined coconut oil in the base of the pan due to it's high smoke point, and cooked each piece of bread separately and then together to be sure that the toasted cheese sandwich will have a nice crunch.
You can use any cheese that you prefer: Mozzarella, Muenster, brick, American Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, Gruyere, etc.
Do try using different types of bread to make Toasted Cheese Shark Sandwiches, such as sour dough, pitas, high protein bread, gluten-free bread, etc.
Assemble the sandwiches before your shark week party or shark-themed party and cooked them on demand.